blandess

Well Ladies and Gentlemen the economy is finally at my doorstep. Landmark Aviation laid me off today for lack of work in the Avionics field. This kinda puts a damper on my otherwise high spirits...I guess I will have more time to plan my machine! :D

I'll be on my way to TX this coming April to start an Aeronautical Engineering degree from UT. If I am not mistaken isn't Mr. Paul Dye and Aero Engineer? I was wondering the job market in TX for "us". I would like to thank the 'Force members in advance for helping keep me sane during my period of unrest. I have had a job since I've been 16 and this is my first time unemployed in 10 yrs!

Cheers Everyone!

Bo Landess

Sorry to hear about your "temp" situation, but glad to hear you have a plan. The aerospace industry has always been like a roller coaster so now you have the first hill behind you. Just enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Hang in there Bo. I'd not been without a job since age 14 in 1968. Lost a job in January and was out of work for three months. Did some consulting/contract work and am back to permanent work at a better job (same pay) than before.
Sounds like you are following your dream and that is always the right path

The job market out here is still pretty strong in a number of fields. The company I work for has quite a few positions available around Dallas, primarily in software and systems engineering.

I suspect you will dig the engineering department at UT, I found it a great experience (20 years ago :)).

Tough Times

Bo,

Sorry to hear about your layoff. I'm kind of in the same situation as you. I just finished reviewing my preview plans for my seven and we are in the middle of some layoffs. I'm also in the aerospace industry. Got my degrees in aerospace engineering from Purdue University. Anyway, I'm taking my time and paying cash for my RV and hope to start building this fall despite the economy. Good luck to you and all the RVators out there!

Michael

School is a good place to hide from a recession if you are still in need of a degree! Aero is a fabulous field - know what you're interested in, and enjoy it. As for job prospects, well, be flexible, because as was stated above, industry can be a real roller coaster. And the work is so glamorous - I'm typing this at 0257 in the bloody AM because I just got up to go to be at work in a little while - and I've been doing this for thirty years! you'd think I'd have some control over my hours by now....oh, wait....I'm the one that wrote the shift schedule.....Hmmmm....;)

Orbital mechanics - gotta love 'em!

Paul

Go for it!!

I'll be on my way to TX this coming April to start an Aeronautical Engineering degree from UT.

Bo - that's a great start! Your passion for things aeronautic and flying will drive you to excel in this exciting field. I'd like to relate a little story here for your benefit:

I did virtually the same thing back in 1980: Wanted to work as an engineer but I also wanted to fly. Got my PPL in high school, and then on to college at Cal Poly Pomona for a BS in aero engineering.

Two things I did basically shaped my life to this day, both of them "long shots" taken in the pure pursuit of my dreams: I always wanted to design *and* fly, so in my second year of college, I took a shot at getting into the Air Force as a pilot. There were only 2 slots available for my school that year, and over 40 applicants. Well, I was accepted and flew 9 years as an active duty pilot!! Dream #1 fulfilled...

I also wanted to get into some cool design work, and right out of college I had a year to wait until reporting for pilot training. So - I drove up to Edwards AFB to go see if I could work there and get my hands on something fun. Long shot again!! Guess what? I got a job - for almost a year - working in the F16 Combined Test Force, doing performance analysis on the F-16C/D fighters!!! I got around Test Ops on a regular basis, got some great specialized training by NASA while there, and met LOTS of cool pilots (Yeager, Sewell, many USAF test pilots, and worked with some really sharp engineers too). Since then, I've worked a couple other full time engineering jobs, and have done lots of free-lance work on many many interesting projects, worked with a couple race teams, experimentals, jets, and RV's! Its been GREAT!

Today, I still work full time as a pilot (B777, United) and just about full time as an engineer. Hey, check out the little wiring tool I put on the market; another example of dream + action = reality. The engineering now is specific to my own interests - there's another dream wrapped up in that effort, which is underway.

Bo, that's TWO long shots that would have never happened if I didn't take them. Now you go do the same. You have the passion, the interest, the motivation, and the talent to be great. To live your dreams. Being here on VAF is one obvious piece of evidence that you are that kind of pilot and engineer "in the making". Carry on! :D:D:D:D

The only other thought I'd throw out there is that you can be an invaluable member of any aerospace firm or just about ANY modern company in any field of endeavor with an electrical engineering degree. Throw in a couple of programming class electives (or a minor in CS or a dual degree in computer science) and you will NEVER HAVE to worry about finding a job you like if you are willing to travel ever again. Now a days it's the avionics guts (I'll include flight control systems, mission equipment package, weapons, etc) of the planes that get the most development money and are bread and butter endeavors which can lead to decades of employment in the sustainment side of the contract long after development of the systems are initially completed. In the Boeing Divisions I have worked in or know about, it's usually the EEs that end up as the execs even over areas like design and manufacturing and not just avionics. And if you look where consumer products are and continue to head with robotics becoming more plausable all over the place, smart electrical grids, future automobile power systems, embedded computers, hospital equipment, etc., electrical engineers are prime skill set team members.