Rick6a

Well Known Member
It is often said...."There is nothing new under the sun". I wonder if anyone else has experienced this one.
While reading of someones first engine startup experience, I recalled an incident that happened to me, but wasn't quite in the context of an official startup. I was in the hangar by myself, toiling away at completing the wiring of the starter relay, master and ignition switches on my brand new O-320 equipped RV-6A, going over all the electrical details in my mind when it suddenly occurred to me in a brilliant flash of insight that finally....after years of building, it now seemed technically possible to engage the starter and see the prop rotate........or was it? Would the prop turn if I moved the ignition key to "Start"? I thought, " Hmm, the crankcase is filled with oil, the fuel system has not been plumbed in so there is no way the engine could fire." It would be nice to see the first real stirrings of mechanical life in "Darla". Kind of like the warm and fuzzy feeling you get the first time you hook up a control system and delight at its smooth movement! Lets see, this wire goes here, that wire goes there, seems good, seems good......why not? Lets give it a try! So I sat in the cockpit all alone with my thoughts, hesitated for a moment, then with a deep breath and wide eyed wonderment turned the key to "Start". The propeller rotated!!!!! Then......BANG!!!! "What the........Holy Cow, what was that?" I scrambled out of the cockpit, went around to the engine compartment. In my blind enthusiasm to see some real work yields, I neglected to remove the plastic dessicant filled plugs I temporarily replaced the spark plugs with and the top plug on number three instantly went ballistic, shot out of its threads at an ever upward angle and bounced about the roof trusses of the hangar, showering dessicant beebee's all over the place. To this day, I still find a stray beebee lodged somewhere in the hangar. Happy Fourth of July everybody!

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

I had an occasion flying my Giant Scale RC plane one year. I was at the field with just one other RC pilot, who was off on his own thing. I got very astute (and complacent) at starting the engine by myself. At idle, the plane would just sit and chug along as it waited for me to command it into a takeoff roll. Well, this time I had the throttle wide open as I flipped the prop (this thing had a 6 hp engine and a 24" prop). Needless to say, it started immediately, wing bouncing off my leg, it pirouetted around me. As it came around again, I slapped the tail, heading the plane down field. I then grabbed the transmitter, rotated the plane into flight and began flying as if nothing unusual happened. I'm sure the gentleman observing me that day had a tail to spin later, with his pals. Crazy lady!!!!

Roberta

Happy 4th and God Bless America, Land of the Free!!!!

Not so lucky

My 8 hp Cap 21 went under a table when the throttle was bumped by accident and broke one wing off.
Ted

The little dessicant plugs are *not* very strong. I busted one
by lightly hand propping. Evidently, I have good compression.
You get one of those bb's in your eye/face and you are gonna bleed.