Steve

Well Known Member
This made the rounds at our place today. It's probably 100 years old but still applicable.

The Designer

The designer sat at his drafting board
A wealth of knowledge in his head was stored
Like what can be done on a radial drill
Or a turret lathe or a vertical mill.

But above all things a knack he had
For driving machinists completely mad.
So he mused as he thoughtfully scratched his bean
"Just how can I make this thing hard to machine?"

If I make this body perfectly straight
The part would function really great.
But would be so easy to turn and bore
That it would never make a machinist sore.

So I'll put a compound taper there
And a couple of angles to make them swear.
And brass would work for this little gear
But would be too easy to machine, I fear.

So just to make the machinist squeal
I'll make him mill it from tungsten steel.
And I'll put these holes that hold the cap
Down underneath where they can't be tapped.

Now if they can make this it'll just be luck
Cause it can't be held by dog or chuck
And it can't be planed and it can't be ground
So I feel my design is unusually sound.

And he shouted in glee, "Success at last!
This stupid thing can't even be cast!"

Author unknown

Steve Fabiszak

I love it!

I was a machinist for 12 years and I'd never before heard/read that. It brings to mind many engineers I've known over time that were the type that would hurt themselves severely if you ever put a tool into their hands. On the flip side, I've met a few that would actually come out of their offices(orifices) to talk to the guys on the floor and listen and learn what the various machines were and were not capable of. Thanx for the flashbacks.

I think ALL aero engineers should have to build an airplane before they ever design one! I bet you they would change the way they do things.

I could never understand why, in my class of 150-200 aeronautical engineering students, only about 5 of us were pilots, and only a few more wanted to be....and there probably weren't; that many more that were good enough mechanics to change their oil, much less construct an airplane. It was definitely a surprise to me!

Design, Build, Fly, and Maintain....that's the sign of a great engineer!

Paul

Engineers, a mystery, Let your kids grow up to be engineers?

Yea the world would be better if there where only machinist; engineers are either dumb or sadistic :rolleyes:; a machinist could design it better. Here is the ideal machinist airplane, all straight cuts:

machineplaneop9.jpg

Sometimes things are complex on purpose?

Why do mechanics and especially machinist, complain and widely misunderstand what engineers do. There is some truth to every stereotype but it?s mostly a lack of communication.

Now a day the designer (who may not be an engineer) makes a sold element CAD model and the computer figures out how to machine it and warns if there's a violation of basic machinability rules. It knows what the cutter can and can't do.

The machinist just downloads the computers instructions and pushes a button and watches the "run". The computer has already done all the work and planning. The whole operation is automatic after setup.

Of course it does not help to have the perfect design if you can't make it, use it or maintain it. Also clearly a good machinist is part sculpture and part highly skilled technician.

A part that's easy to machine does not make it good, if it doesn't function as needed.

Believe it or not engineers are fairly intelligent and not all thumbs. A top design criterion is producibility, along with the other 100 criteria. Sometimes the design pushes the ability of production techniques. The fact is it's NOT EASY. There are 100's of requirements and compromises. Sometimes it means a part or the assembly will be hard to make or assemble. Sometimes a new process is needed or developed.

Just about every thing we have in our modern life, including our RV's are from engineers. Richard Vangrunsven is an engineer by both education and professional work experience (before Vans A/C). People complain about the RV kits, especially the early ones. Yep, Van makes mistakes, but so do machinist, mechanics and builders, who can make colossal mess-ups. People say how superior their idea is and how poor another designs are without knowing much about the design. If you never designed anything before, sit down and design and analyze something complex, than build try to build it; it isn?t easy.

Here is the truth and why engineers don't do themselves any favors. Engineers are naturally a bit of a mystery, since their job is part creative, design, analysis, math, science, physics, economics, ergonomics, production and marketing to name a few. If you don't have a background in math, science and physics it can seem like a mystery. It's the language engineers speak. It's also one of the only jobs where working can be sitting and staring into space, and that is considered perfectly normal.

The one big mistake in engineering is usually communication. In the last 20 years there has been a push to have design teams include management, engineers, mechanics, machinist and the customer to improve the design through better communication. Like Hawkeye7A said its NOT new. Good engineers worked closely work with the shop. Kelly Johnson (F-80, F-104, U2, SR71) back in the 50's put the engineers in the hanger, right with the mechanics making parts. He was way ahead of his time and why he created great unprecedented aircraft and did so in record time. It is kind of the norm now.

Not every engineer is Richard Vangrunsven or Kelly Johnson either. The idea the general public and technicians have of engineers is distorted or void. I have been on both sides. I was a ship fitter before I went to college. I loved it, but when I saw the engineers in their climate controlled building while I was freezing or melting on the steel year round outside, college and an engineering degree was looking better. Some jobs are tough physically and others are more mental, but that is where the pride comes in. Tough jobs are more satisfying.

I saw engineering mess-ups at the ship yard and later at Boeing when I was an engineer for a time. Yep, it was almost always a communication breakdown. One time at the shipyard I had to cut a huge section out the side of a super structure. It was just placed on the deck and welded down the day before. Unfortunately large equipment (chillers) should have been positioned under the super structure before it was dropped in place. Yep, as a ship fitter I thought the engineers where dumb. The engineers got it right; it was the down stream planners that got it out of sequence, supervisors who allowed the structure to be set down before the equip. whoops. BUT if the engineers would have left the comfort of the engineering building and walked out to check this major milestone, they would have caught the error. That's one reason why I went back to school and chose engineering. However as Murphy the great philosopher said, stuff happens.

Many companies have engineers work on the shop floor for sometime. Not sure how busting their knuckles help them, but it gives them an appreciation of the shop. Also some engineering is very theoretical in advanced areas, like new materials. Those folks don't require the ability to change their own car oil. It takes all types.

Also "engineer" is such an abused title; a garbage man is a sanitation engineer and train driver is also an engineer. Try just calling your self Doctor or Lawyer and see who comes knocking. Engineers let anyone be called an engineer. It really is hard to describe what engineers do, since sometimes they just sit their staring into space, literally, thinking about all the factors to juggle. Computers are great, but there is still a little genius behind every great design, whether its a bread-toaster or an airplane. Engineers deserve a little more respect than they get. Like any field there are good and not so good ones. Also a lot of so called "engineering" is not done by engineers, because why? They don't want to pay them and a warm body will do.

The sad part is the USA is losing the technical edge. We need more engineers, but people put the engineering profession down in this country and just don't understand it or appreciate it. It?s just not sexy to say, I'm an engineer. So kids are not interested. It's a hard degree to get. They look at how 5 years typical with lots of math and physics and head for the hills (and an art history degree). They also see what they get paid. Engineers are not grossly overpaid. However as with all big companies benefits are being cut. Many big companies are trying to use more foreign engineers from countries like India, with reckless abandon. You think communication is bad with customer tech support phone lines, wait till the next Boeing is made by Sambhddha or Naganalatha, I mean Dave and Heather. Love to see the parts those parts machined.

With globalization, skilled labor is not going to be part of the American dream anymore, at least if you want to make money, because China has a billion machinists ready to make that part cheaper. There will aways be some skilled labor, but if they can off shore it, they will.

Engineers have an identity crisis. When I was an engineer, if it came up at a party, I'd get "Oh, one of those". :confused: That's may be why I switched to airline pilot, at least people have an idea of what I do. :rolleyes: However if your kids have a talent for math and science, engineering can be a great career. I can't predict the future of engineering, but it will probably always involve a machinist complaining about how hard parts are to make. :D

Most engineers are not out to make parts harder machine, however something like airplanes for example are just complex. If you want it simple than the plane for you is pictured above. I whine and cry when I can't get at a bolt, but I don't blame the engineer; We need them. :D

Last edited:
I can't wait to send that poem to our machine shop! I'm a mechanical design engineer and have the great fortune to get to visit our machine shop daily and get instant feedback on the machinability of my designs. I worked with my hands for 10 years before going to school, which has also been a real benefit.

Wow!

Wow George, I really don't think engineers need defending on this site. I'm pretty sure nearly everyone at VAF respects us. Really, the poem is a joke . . . and a good one!

On the other hand, I've seen way too many engineers that don't have a clue how things are actually built. I'm the other extreme. I can't stand that we aren't really allowed to touch anything due to union rules.

Like Paul, I was shocked to find how little my fellow students were about airplanes coming into college. I remember junior year we all had propulsion class, and we had to be taught the difference between the different engine types (recips, turbojet, turbofan, turboprop). Only a few of us knew them coming in!

wow2

Hey George, that one must have struck a nerve :) , quite the response. I've been a Tool & Diemaker for 27 years and I have worked closely with many engineers and like any profession, there's good ones and bad ones. One thing I think that should be mandatory for all mechanical engineers is too spend at least six months in a machine shop before starting on their schooling, this would give a much better understanding of how things are made.
Well, I'm now going to print that poem and stick on my machine shop wall, it's great! All in good fun, Steve.

Not threatened, and not defending my pocket protector

I got a degree in aero engineering and was surprised by how few of my colleagues had anything to do with airplances. I was always a hands-on basement tinkerer before college. But my engineering curriculum was 99.5% classroom lecture discussion. They didn't teach me to design anything. They taught me how to analyze an existing design. I once heard a fellow engineer offer this observation. "We all became engineers so we could build things. It's not until after we became engineers that we realized they don't let engineers build anything." Some (most?) of those guys with no hands-on experience were better prepared to learn engineering than I was.

George was spot on with his comment on communication. I recall a discussion I had with a buddy while we worked on his RV-7. He has many years experience as a maintainer with the Air Force. I have been an Air Force engineer for "a while." The maintainer would see a problem and propose a fix. As an engineer, I would analyze the proposed fix. If it exceeded all the requirements by the specified margins, I could approve it and everyone was happy. If the analysis showed a weakness, my boss wouldn't let me disapprove it without offering an alternative. If I couldn't talk directly with someone in the field, I had to come up with something. Sometimes my approved solution was more difficult to implement that the original proposal. After getting some feedback on my design, I like to ask, "So, how old were you when you learned 'd@##ed engineer' is two words?" :D

Ironflight said:
I could never understand why, in my class of 150-200 aeronautical engineering students, only about 5 of us were pilots, and only a few more wanted to be....and there probably weren't; that many more that were good enough mechanics to change their oil, much less construct an airplane. It was definitely a surprise to me!

Design, Build, Fly, and Maintain....that's the sign of a great engineer!

Paul

That's funny. I'm a mechanical engineer. When I first started engineering school (where the motto was "learn by doing") I was astounded to discover how few of my fellow students had even the remotest interest in cars/motorcycles/airplanes/bicycles, etc, let alone knowing how to work on them. My interests were precisely what propelled me towards an engineering degree. Judging from the responses to this thread, I wasn't the only one.

Every April 1, I get the urge to come up with a drawing of a part that can't be made, and send it to the local shop that makes a lot of parts for me at work. I always lose my nerve in the last minute :eek: