When the day comes for the DAR to come out and perform his/her duties what paperwork should the builder have out ready for inspection? Once the inspection process is complete what items (paperwork) remain with the builder and what is sent to the FAA if any? Is there any link(s) I can go to that might answer all these questions? Thanks for your input?.

SHEP

Details to your question

Shep:

Roberta Hegy (two time builder) supplied me with these helpful notes when my 9A was ready.
[FONT=&quot]
Have all your paperwork ready. Have an inspection check list ready.

Have all your builder logs, engine log, prop log, POH, a folder with all your manuals and certifications for your equipment installed. Any inspection sheets from your Tech Counselor. Display these near the plane.

Have your flight testing plan made out and available.

Have all the removable inspection covers off, cowl off, seats out, carpet out, covers off, basically everything off and open like an annual inspection. Neatly display all the items removed.

Have the plane and surrounding area as neat and tidy as possible.

Be professional, accommodating, helpful, but don't volunteer any info not asked for.

You should have gotten an amateur built package from the FAA. This will be helpful in getting everything ready.

All these things help show the inspector the detail and depth of thought that went into your building process and test flying plans. The more organized and professional you look, the less likely you will be scrutinized and nit picked unnecessarily by the inspector.

In addition to Roberta's helpful suggestions, I had lots of pictures of various stages of the project. In short order, the DAR knew I was the actual builder and that a lot of thought and care went into the build. I found the experience to be very helpful given the indepth knowledge the DAR had and readily shared.

At the end, the DAR asked me to start the engine and taxi the airplane with him aboard. Other builders have told me these steps did not occur during their inspection.

In total, the inspection took 4 hours. I have remained in touch with the DAR since my inspection in 2007 and he continues to be a very helpful fellow.

Good luck!
[/FONT]

As a LTC....

...you obviously know the protocols......a clean, uncluttered table with all the necessary paperwork laid out, a stool or chair for his comfort and a cold bottle of water.

First impressions and all that, Sir. My wife is a retired Naval Commander and she agrees:)

Best,

I encourage all my applicants to use the EAA Amateur-Built Certification Kit. The step-by-step guidebook included in the kit covers all steps and answers most if not all questions.

On top of that, I provide my applicants with the checklist of my own that outlines what needs to be sent to me in advance and what I expect when I get there for the inspection. If anyone wants a copy of my checklist just send me an email at [email protected].

Here is what I send all of my applicants:

1.Fill out your 8130-6 Application for airworthiness. http://forms.faa.gov/forms/faa8130-6_9_12_2008.pdf
Make sure it is exactly as your registration. In section III Owner's Certification, check the AD box, and then put in the
date of the nearest biweekly AD update from the FAA.gov website:http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

2. Write up your Program Letter requesting certification. For the test
area write: 35 nm radiius of the airport from which you are going to be based. We can discuss this if it's not really suited due to congested areas.

3. Complete an inspection checklist such as the one in the EAA packet. Any thing that is not applicable, such as carb heat,
just write N/A. Make an entry in the aircraft logbook that you have performed an inspection and find it to be in an airworthy condition. Sign and date it.

4. Don't forget the notarized Eligibility Statement.

http://forms.faa.gov/forms/faa8130-12.pdf

5. You will need your White hardcopy of the registration on the day of the inspection.

6. Follow the steps on the EAA link for guidance. http://members.eaa.org/home/homebui... Aircraft Certification Inspection Guide.html

7. Make sure the data plate exactly matches the registration document, in the EXACT order.

8. Make sure you make an entry in the logbook that you have inspected the aircraft and find it in a condition for safe operation.

I will need 2 copies plus the originals of:

Application for airworthiness

Notarized Eligibility statement (copies of the original are fine, don't
notarize all of them)

Weight and balance

Program letter

The airplane should be in the same state as for a condition inspection, with all inspection panels and cowlings removed.

vic

I'd suggest asking your DAR what he needs. Because mine had previously visited my project wearing his EAA Tech Counselor hat, he did NOT want my cowling off, inspection covers off, etc. In fact, he was adamant that the plane "be ready to fly".

Had I not checked beforehand, I'd have disassembled the plane in preparation for his visit and most likely would've wasted both his time and mine putting it all back together.

All DARs are not created equal. Find out how YOURS wants the plane and paperwork presented.

Shep:

Have all the removable inspection covers off, cowl off, seats out, carpet out, covers off, basically everything off and open like an annual inspection. Neatly display all the items removed.

I did this for my inspection and the DAR asked why. He said the plane was supposed to be ready for flight (of course, he'd already seen it 'naked'). Anyway, the answers for any particular inspection reside with the DAR. My DAR and I had been passing the forms back and forth in the days leading up to the event so that they were filled out to his satisfaction. He brought the entire packet with him and did the inspection and then sat down with me and we went through the packet, paying special attention to the operating limitations and he then signed off my Airworthiness and helped me organize what went in the plane, what stayed in my files, etc. When in doubt, ask your DAR.

I concur with that completely! I am about 3 months from my inspection but started talking with my DAR about 3 months ago. I asked him directly if he had any areas he is picky about that might be different or unexpected. I was particularly interested in his view about having a wet compass. He gave me a long list of things he is particular about such as:

min of two threads exposed on all AN hardware
If using non AN hardware provide documentation that it meets equiv strength
No wet compass needed if I have an EFIS with magnetic ref
Wants to start the engine
Most panels installed but wants access to flight control linkages
Cowl off
He'll work with the paperwork via mail starting about two weeks prior to the visit.
And he wants lots of pictures to prove I built it. I haven't asked yet if I actually have to be in most of them? Uh oh...I have thousands but only a small percentage with me in them since I mostly am alone while building.

I'm hopeful this open dialogue during the build will make it easy for him to pass me :)

Ken

Sorry. this DAR wants the cowling off and all inspection panels off if I haven't seen the airplane before. I've seen too many engine/other issues that could adversely affect the safety of the first flight. As an example of my most recent inspection last week:
-exhaust hangars improperly installed. adel clamps were hanging on the engine mount tubes without the bolts
-loose jam nut on throttle at injection servo
-no silicone sealant between crankcase and baffles, as well as other areas.
-governor cable not secured by jamnuts
-loose alternate air cable
-48 rivets missing from vertical fin. vertical fin installed improperly. wrong bolt and nut on vertical fin fwd attach
-no hold down bolts for battery. that's right--- all 4 AN3 bolts were missing
-many bolts had the nuts only started, including the forward elevator/control column bolt and left door strut
-both wheels missing cotter keys from axle nuts
-cotter key missing from left wing aft spar bolt
-no W&B

This is not the whole list, but as you can see, many of these would not have been found if the aircraft was in a ready-to-fly state. And, eventually some of these could have had very adverse consequences. I have to live with myself and look myself in the mirror knowing I did everything I could to make certain that people would not get hurt. That's the main reason why I decided to become a DAR, and I haven't forgotten that. I don't do it to be picky or mean, and I think you will find from the builders whose inpections I have done that they have had an enjoyable experience.
Sure, you might like to hear that phrase "have it ready to fly," but it is my opinion, and my opinion only, that if you haven't seen the airplane before, as well as real recently, then there's probably no hurt in having another set of eyes look it over.

Vic

DAR inspections

Vic welcomed comments and questions when I inspected his plane,so he does practice what he preaches. When inspecting our RV-10, he pointed out some issues that needed addressing, which I appreciated. Both of us realize that bad paperwork doesn't kill... it's the plane that needs the attention!

Some observations in my DARing:

>Everyone can use a second set of eyeballs. When you are constantly involved with a project, you tend to overlook those details that you've told yourself you will take care of later. However, to fresh eyeballs, those same items jump out at you.

> Every FAA office seems to have different standards/emphasis items. I've observed that as well as been told that by FEDS. So, things may be different in your area.

>DAR's vary in their approaches. The Feds seem to be mostly concerned about perfection in paperwork. I've yet to be asked about the planes or builders I've inspected, but sure have been taken to task for nitnoids in paperwork. Reminds me of my time in the USAF as a jet instructor when we seemed mostly interested in graduating perfect gradebooks (paperwork) rather than perfect pilots.

>Contact your proposed DAR early,not the day before. Stay in touch as the project nears completion. This will develop a higher comfort level in both the builder and the DAR.

Last edited:
Wow!! All these discrepancies....

...on one airplane! Serious ones...man-oh-man.

Hard to believe, ain't it?

Thanks Vic,