Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
This has very limited interest. Several years ago I read about Tracy Saylor's sliding canopy hole plug where the rear skirts stradle the center track. The details of his implementation were not given but the concept was clear - make a loose little aluminum fairing to cover the track, make a conforming plug that slides along the track and closes the hole when the canopy is closed. The plastic guide that slides along the track pushes it when opening and some to be determined medium pulls it forward when the canopy is closed. I have evolved mine to the point that it is probably as good as it is going to get now and I will give you some key things I found to make mine servicable without going into the problems:

1 - The tow hooks should extend back through the plug and hook back into the rear surface to keep them from pulling out over time.
2 - A little silicon rubber buildup on the last screw to give enough drag to prevent the plug from flying off the rear of the track when the canopy is opened.
3 - It is easy to construct a plug from balsa wood layers but it must have a layer of fiberglass on the outer surface to make it durable.
4 - The soft white "P" strip from Aircraft spruce on the plug will seal any gap between it and the canopy skirt "dog house".
5 - Waxed Nylon wire bundle lacing tape works extremely well as the pull medium but it assumes positions from time to time that make it vulnerable to wear. Vinyl tubing slipped over it will keep it clear of the skin and rail "pinch points" when the canopy is closed.

Bob Axsom

Hi Bob,

Silly me, I should have looked at the date this tread started. :eek:

I look forward to some pictures also.
I found when I fly in the rain, its seems like someone out side, over the track, turns on a tape and water streams in. :mad:
I had just made a shelf out of MDF, when it got wet, it all sagged in the middle.
I was going to use some white "P" strip also.