tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
bigcutye2.jpg
Perhaps the most terrifying part of building an RV is the Big Cut on the canopy. I am posting to ease the fear of those of you who have not yet reached this part of the project. Don't worry about it. It really is no big deal.

I consider my building skills to be average at best. I did the big cut today and it was anti climatic. I resisted the temptation to have a few shots of tequila to calm my nerves before I put the cutting wheel to the plexi.

I used a dremel tool with the cable extension. I masked off the area with two pieces of tape, positioned with the aid of the cardboard that Vans recommends you place between the roll bar and canopy frame. I just went slowly and cut between the two tape strips. No problem. At least not one that I have recognized yet, the final fitting is still to come.

It is not perfect, but it turned out better than I had expected.

My thanks to those builders who have documented the big cut on their websites, especially Mickey Coggins. That information helped a great deal.

bigcutye2.jpg

bigcut2gy7.jpg

Last edited:
I did the same thing this Thursday. So much is made of the big cut I was all worked up about it too. I found it to be anti climatic, trimming the front was time consuming but after that, the cut was pretty easy.

I also took a tip from Randy Lervold's canopy page and used a Unibit to open up the plexi hole to 5/32" once the canopy was back off. Worked like a charm.

Now if fitting the skirt was that easy.... :D

The worst....

RatMan said:
So much is made of the big cut I was all worked up about it too. I found it to be anti climatic,

Now if fitting the skirt was that easy.... :D

Great jobs, guys! The worst that can happen is $800 for another canopy plus the wait... :)

You're getting close!!

Regards,

Thanks for the post .... Ive put this off as long as I can . I will cut this week . Keeping my fingers crossed . Im sure all will be fine ( I think ) :rolleyes:

I also found the big cut to be mostly a non-event. I attribute this to careful planning. I got some good advice from Mickey's site and others: leave the canopy a little long on both ends before making the big cut. This allows for a little bit extra to be removed after the big cut to correct for a less than perfect cut.

I've found that difficult parts of this project have been exaggerated -- the canopy, cowling, fuel tanks, etc. are all no big deal. I consider myself an average builder. For me one of the more difficult portions of the project was getting those $@#$@ gear leg weldments installed. Anyway...they're in now and it's all just a distant memory.

I'm finding the *MOST* difficult part of the project is FINISHING it. Why? Well, because there are no instructions on how to finish it. If you're a first time builder/not an A&P, etc. this is the time to really call in those favors from your friends in the know and get their advise and help. All of the little things take forever it seems.