W

william weesner

the best lyclone ?

which lyclone engine is the best it?

Last edited:
Best lyclone

Check out the TMX-360. Has what I think is a "Superior" (pun intended) case construction and a well designed pressure lubrication system. Check it out on Mattituck's web site. Their site isn't as flashy as the Superior's site but if you compare part for part, you may (or not) come to the same conclusion. Either way you go its probable still better than a real Lyc. You asked.
NYTOM
6A N822PM (res)
TMX-360 carb,FP

sprucemoose said:
Especially if you like to replace cylinders, connecting rods, etc. Go Superior, a few more $ but worth it.

I doubt that's there's much difference between the (I)O360 components supplied by ECI, Superior, or Lycoming....they're all producing parts for the certified market that are basically interchangeable.

Rather, the point of real difference may well lie in the quality of the assembly and balancing, the warranty, and the back-up one might receive in the event of problems. The Superior warranty seems a little limited to me unless you want to pay extra bucks for an extension. Also I'm not sure that all the guys who bought the disasterous Superior Ryton sump are happy at the moment with the type of responses they're getting from Superior.

All quick-witted responses aside...

William,

What I found worked well for me was to first pick an engine assembler (Aerosport, Superior, Mattituck, etc), and then talk to their engineers to find out what components they recommended - and most importantly, why. As an engineer, I like to rely on data and facts - tell me why something works, or why something else doesn't. Find out about their overall reliability from others. Find out how long they have been building engines (this is important in gauging how much to trust their level of experience).

Lots of folks have lots of second and third-hand stories about engine and component failures, but I found that if you really try and track them down, many of the problems occur with inexpensive overhauls or inexperienced overhaualers (hey, everyone has to start somewhere!), or with improper initial run-in. It's hard to pin those on the big-time engine builders!

I originally picked who I thought was going to build my engine from advertisements and seminars at shows. When it came time to spend $20,000 of my own money, I realized that I needed to do the research and get down to the details. I ended up going with a different builder, and different components when all was said and down - and I am very, very happy with my choices.

I'm not going to tell you what to choose, or what not to choose - you will be much more comfortable once you make your own decisions basd on your own research - and it's a lot of fun!

Paul

Bob Barrow said:
I doubt that's there's much difference between the (I)O360 components supplied by ECI, Superior, or Lycoming....
Tell that to all the people who had to pull their engines in the last few months to replace their ECI cylinders. Or those who are about to pull their engines and split the cases to replace their ECI connecting rods. Anyone remember cermichrome cylinders?

Aerosport Power. They can assemble your engine with virtually any of the components currently available, and are astonishingly nice people to deal with. Last time I checked, they also had the longest warranty by far.

william weesner said:
thanks for all the info. i think i have what i need now..i was concerned about the recall and such as i really dont want to take it apart before i even run it.
as for bart and those do they give you a build sheet of the specific part # s so you can keep track of the recalls if applicable

When Mattituck built my engine, they kept track of all the serialized parts. When I saw the ECI Rod AD, (which really only affects a very limited number of engines, and even that, only at 2000 hours...), I sent a note to Mahlon, asking if mine were affected, and got an answer back in 30 minutes (Nope!). I have such a huge stack of paperwork from building my airplane that while I know the engine build sheet is in there somewhere, it was easier to ask...

Paul

Chevy or a Chrysler?

This is an emotional topic, talk to a few people about what kind of car they prefer, there are pros and cons to any of them... I have a problem with superior and their warranty - I can go to ECI or Aero Sport and get a 3 year warranty - so how come Superior doesn't do that? I wouldn't condemn anyone for going with any type engine, including the subies, while I hope to be happy with my decision, I know there will always be someone out there telling me what a mistake it was and how their decision was right.

My advice - don't by a Chrysler product :rolleyes:

The best lyclone is the Aerosupecituck! You can get one from Aero Sport, Superior, ECI and Mattituck.

Jekyll

I have been very impressed with the Superior engine. Their cylinders are the best choice out there. They are better castings and have better volumetric efficiencies than ECi or factory cylinders. We found that they make more power right out of the box--by testing.

Walter, I'll disagree with your thoughts on the Superior cylinders making more power than the OEM's. But I will agree with the ECI statement. We have found on our dyno that the Lycoming cylinders produce more power than the SAP cylinders out of the box. this has been addressed on several occasions and even had a couple of their engineers witness dyno runs showing the lack of power, to no avail. Additionally, there is enough material in the OEM cylinder ports to improve volumetric efficiency even more than out of the box numbers. So, are you referring to the Lycoming engines or the Continental engines?

Allen Barrett
Barrett Precision Engines, Inc.