celstar

Well Known Member
I'm looking for advice on which pre-heat system to install on my 7 here in Wisconsin? Anyone that has a system that they really like please tell me more.

I have a very simple system that I use.

I have a ceramic heater on the floor under the cowl that has an aluminum "plenum" of sorts riveted to it. From that, I run a length of aluminum dryer vent, the flexible kind, up to the cowl and insert it between the exhaust.

I plug this into a thermostat that is intended for heat tape to keep pipes from freezing. The thermostat is placed into the cowl through the oil door. Then plug the thermostat into an extention chord.

Then I place several blankets over the cowl and walk away. I keep this rig plugged in all winter and it keeps the entire engine compartment warm to around 40 F. When temps are in the teens, it runs maybe 3 times/hr and usually about 1-2 minutes each time. Engine starts up very easy. The thing that I will start doing, however, is doing about a half hour preheat with another ceramic heater inside the cockpit, as my electonics tend to say "yeah, right!" when it is cold.

REgards,

This one maybe?

Hi.

Check out this website: www.aerothermheaters.com

Their heaters are not mounted on the plane. Doesn't add weight and complexibility. A definte + in my book...

Just my 2 c...

Alf Olav Frog / Norway
RV-7 Finishing

Some people are comfortable with a system that runs on a timer so on fri. night it turns on for that sat. morning departure. I like to be at least on the airport when I am preheating. I use the red dragon brand with excellent results. When I was a young man I learned a hard lesson on a fiberglass cowl(Citabria). I was not paying attention and was in the FBO hanging over the counter flirting with the new receptionist while my preheat was in progress. A little extra time lapsed and I ended up heating the top cowl into a melted mass. It had to be replaced. My Dad was not happy about that one. Be careful about those owner absent preheats.

Stick on pan heaters from Napa

Mine are 100W total and keep the engine at 30F above ambient in my hangar with cowl plugs.

I keep mine plugged in all thime from October to March in Oregon.

Frank

Heater

Like Frank I live in western Oregon, and I put one of those $30 oil-filled ratidators right under the cowl exit. At the lowest setting it keeps the oil 25f over ambient. I just leave it on all the time because "they" say if you turn it on/off it causes condensation. Of course, my hangar rent includes electric...

Jerry

I had a Tanis heater in my Cherokee and it really worked well. I also used one on my SeaRey with the Rotax engine. Very dependable and well made.

I have an insulated hangar and don't feel the need for a heater now.

Roberta

I have the Reiff hot strip heater which glues to the sump. 200W total and installed on a timer so I can program when the thing comes on a few days in advance.

Combined with a couple of old towels stuffed in the intakes and a packing blanket over the cowl, it brings my oil temperatures to nearly 100f after 3-4 hours.

Of course, I'm hangared just north of Atlanta, so most of my preheat days have lows between the high 20's and about 45. Living waaay up north, your needs may be different.

Oil sump heater

Reiff I believe. Works well getting the temp up to mid 80s or so in a hangar with a blankie over the cowl top and inlet. I have a timer but since I can drive there in minutes I just plug it in the night before.

My experience with Tanis heaters mirrors Roberta's. All four of our club planes have them ... well designed, work simply and dependably, and best of ALL .. can be installed by mortals. I talked to them at OSH and prices are not unreasonable at all. I plan to install one on my 320 before I hang it on the Nine.