tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
My Ipaq PDA went toes up today. Probably related to my dropping it :(

I am considering which PDA to buy to replace it. Among those considered is the palm Treo650 which includes a phone. Although I will miss the windows capability of the Ipaq, if I go with the palm.

The Ipaq with its windows based system could also handle the GPS input to become a moving map, although I also have a Garmin pilot III for that purpose. The Ipaq also can do checklists etc., many of which are available on the web for free or little money.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Tony Johnson
RV8A "badboy"
N12TJ reserved
Orlando

Pda

I'd look into the Control Vision Anywhere map/WX system. I recently upgraded my IPAQ/ GPS/ Globalstar Sat. phone weather system to an HP/bluetooth GPS/ XM weather system because I hate flying IFR around thunderstorms. The Control vision people are first rate, but if you don't want to spring for the 2000.00 to 2800.00 dollars I have my old system for sale for alot less.

Jon Thocker
RV6A
N973JT

Dell Axim

I have a Dell Axim X30 (624 meg processor) running the Approach Systems APIC software with a Bluetooth GPS. Its a great PDA for office work, but not so good in an RV. The screen is just not bright enough. I don't know if different software would make a difference (seems that the Control Vision or AirGator software get the best reviews). I also find the bluetooth interface a real pain to get going. I often have to reboot the PDA, sometimes twice, before it starts to work. Its a pain to remember to switch the bluetooth on when I get to the airplane - I switch it off in the office to save power. Once I have initialised the software without the bluetooth on a reboot is the only way to recover. Occasionally it freezes while airborne requiring a reboot (I have a hole in the back of the mount especially) - its quite tricky in bumpy air. Overall its just too much of a pain, I want something I can switch on and not worry about.

If I was going shopping again I would probably get a Garmin 296 (or maybe a 196 if I was being cheap).

Hope this helps, Pete.