This will sound a bit flip, but the "best" choice is probably a low-compression IO-360 with at least one electronic ignition. This will allow you to use just about any kind of fuel.

There isn't enough price difference between an O-320 and an IO-360 to matter much; and resale value will be better with an IO-360.

Also, get one suitable for Constant Speed even if you plug it and do not use a C/S prop. That leaves the option open to the next owner if they want to upgrade.

From there, the debate is nearly endless (Superior; Lycoming; ECI; Titan; etc.).

Hope that helps!

Hi,

thank you for your very interesting response... I would like to be able to use any kind of fuel... You know in France the avgas is very expensive! Imagine 2? for a liter (2,56 $ ) per liter ...I continue to work at it ..

best regards

The "best" engine is the one that you might be able to find that meets your price and schedule requirements and you just happen to come across. If funds are of no concern, I agree an IO-320/360 is the "best" choice (though then you have to decide which supplier and what other options you want). For me, I was going to go with a cloan IO-360 as the price differential was small between that and an IO-320 or a carburated O-320/360. But what turned out to be "best" was a new Lycoming experimental IO-320 I got through Van's on their Sun n Fun special, along with a discounted propeller. The price for the IO-360, cloan or Lycoming, along with the discounted propeller, was significantly higher in this case. However, I also was exploring a nice used, certified O-320 that was much less expensive to purchase initially, and that might have been my "best" engine had funds been more of an issue. As it was I had the funds and decided to spend more now to get what I wanted and to save money later in overhaul costs that would have occured much sooner.

There are many choices you can make, and what is "Best" is a variable determination.

I will probably choose a mid time engine . According to you what company seems the more reliable for those engines. They are so many in USA to provide such services...

thanks

Wentworth..

....is an aircraft dismantler if you're considering going mid-time. My friend bought an 0-320/160HP that came off a Cherokee and has the fuel pump mounted on the rear case. Most Cessna Skyhawk engines do not have a fuel pump, so remember to consider this because you'll have to buy a new rear accessory case and a fuel pump pushrod to go inside.

Regards

Dominique, greetings from the UK!

I bought an Aerosport Power O-320 160hp for a -4 I started flying in June. It has plenty of power.

I cant help you wrt new or used. The exchange rate made new engines popular in the UK for a while, but I am not so sure how the ?/$ rate is looking now.

You have made the crucial choice, a -4, but the engine is important also. There are a few things you need to know:

1. AN O or IO 360, or an IO-320 require a different lower cowl from VANS than the standard O-320 one. To my mind the larger cowl does not look so nice. One of the reasons I have an O-320.

2. The fuel pump is very close to the firewall step on a -4. You need the fuel pump to be modified. (See 16/9/07 and 30/11/07 entries.)

3. The -4 needs an unusual length dipstick.

4. The O-320 is slightly lighter. Not a lot, but weight is crucial to the -4.

(Points 2 and 3, Aerosport Power advised me of, and took care of, at no charge.)

Hope that helps you. Bon chance! Steve.

Dear Steve,

thank you for your post . I do think the RV4 is the good choice ,it seems a very nice homebuilt aircraft ,looking good, adding excellent performances. I think now I'll choose a 0320, due to weight . You dont think the I0320 saves enough avgas? I am now looking for a mid time 0320 . As you sais 160 cv seems enough if you build light..

best regards

Dominique