Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I was flattered to see that Doug chose one of my pictures to use for the March calendar image ? I guess it only proves that if you snap the shutter enough times, you?ll eventually get something that works! (By the way, that?s John, one of the BBRSP volunteers on the horse.)

When I showed this picture to one of our secretaries at work the other day, she said ?Oh, isn?t that neat ? you?ve got two completely different kinds of transportation there!?

But when I shot the picture, my intent was to show the complete opposite ? in fact, what I felt when I saw the image was that what I had there were two almost identical images, coincident in space, separated only by time. To me, they are two ends of a uniquely American spectrum. The iconic cowboy, alone on his horse, free to roam across the great western expanse at will, in juxtaposition with today?s equivalent ? the lone pilot in his winged horse, free (again) to roam at will. Wherever the thought, the wind, and the trail take them they can go exploring ? free to change their mind and take a detour ?to see what is over that ridge?. Throw a bedroll in (or on) the back, mount up ? and go!

Now we all know that the Hollywood cowboy probably didn?t exist as we know him. Didn?t you ever wonder what the Lone Ranger did for a living? How?d he pay for food and those silver bullets? In the same way, we have to work to pay for our fuel, oil and parts. But once you have a stash, a little stockpile for supplies ? haven?t you ever just taken off and drifted for a few weeks? A very American thing to do - with maybe a tip of the hat to our Australian friends?

There is an intermediate image not in this photo ? the motorcycle. I remember a couple of summers when I was in college when I set off ? like the cowboys of the movies ? across the great prairie to the mountains and deserts of the southwest on my trusty machine ? a tent, sleeping bag, and tools strapped on the back. No plans, no pressures, no schedule. A few weeks of that and the mind was clear. The same thing is true with an RV today. You have to be a little more careful not to go too fast ? in a day?s flying, you can cross the country, but in the process you?ll miss so much.

That?s one of my next flying goals ? a couple of weeks of just wandering, me and the Valkyrie. Why do you think I look so hard for places to camp right next to the plane? No good cowboy would want to be far from his horse at night?..

Paul

Outstanding!

Paul,
You must have been a writer in another life! Encore.....!!
Fantastic piece that captures the essence of freedom and of American made RV's.

Regards,

Go walkabout

One of the things Jackie and I intend to do once the RV-8 is built and proven, and the pilot has enough experience, and we don't have the ties of animals is a trip to Australia. We plan to take 2-3 months off work, fly the -8 over the water and just tool around looking at stuff. When we've had enough, run out of time, or run out of money, we'll fly back home again.

sounds good Jeff

How far will your over water flight be? I would love to fly in both Australia and New Zealand, but I don't think that I am up to the over water trip from Oregon. I also know that my wife would never go with me if land was not under the belly of my plane. :eek:

Kent

No idea!

Honestly? I have no idea. But many intrepid aviators do it, in planes much smaller and slower than RVs too! I think you can island hop from NZ to Aus without too much difficulty. Not being a pilot yet, I couldn't tell you for sure: needless to say, this particular plan is some way into the future!

I have always liked using that analogy with motorcycles. Especially when I pull up to the airport gate on my R1150rt. the guys who ride motorcyles rode horses into town, the auto equals a carriage.

So what are you going to take into town? A hundred and twenty years ago.

But-- I hope that doesn't mean my side by side is a carriage and a tandem's a horse! OMG

Lone Ranger

Didn?t you ever wonder what the Lone Ranger did for a living? How?d he pay for food and those silver bullets?
Paul[/QUOTE] Gee whiz Paul.......He owned a silver mine, given to him by an old miner he befriended. Don't you know any history??? " "

Green Machine Pilot

Paul, Here-Here!!!!
A tribute to a real modern day explorer.
My compliments on your writeing skills.

Terry Cartwright
RV 6 - 33R
Green Machine

mark manda said:
the guys who ride motorcyles rode horses into town, the auto equals a carriage.

But-- I hope that doesn't mean my side by side is a carriage and a tandem's a horse! OMG

Ha! A side by side IS a carriage !!! HA HA HA.

Nah man, just funnin ya! (Only because I don't ride a motorcycle, but WOULD have ridden a horse,and have on more than one occasion) :D

I like your analogy though, it makes sense to me.

Congratulations, Paul!

What a neat photo...and what a neat description of your thoughts about it! I had intended to send you a personal note yesterday, but this will have to suffice.

You have hit upon a theme that I too believe is common among many folks...those of us who long for adventure in even some small way. I remember the fun of being a teenager with a motorcycle and wandering the backroads of my home county in Tennessee, just to see where the roads would take me. We can enjoy a similar adventure with our RV's of today, although we have to make our own roads in the sky.

Certainly the cowboy on his trusty steed enjoys the adventure of exploring a new trail.

Thanks for plucking that memory string!

Don

Thanks!

I am always pleased to provide a little inspiration folks - these musings are all my way of saying that all of the work of building is well worth it once you're flying!

mark manda said:

Glad you said it Mark, and not me... :p :D

And Terry - are you based at the Groveton airport? I landed there one time last year just cause I was out exploring - it reminded me of airstrips back home in Minnesota, carved out of a forest. I read somewhere that you could camp right nearby, but didn't see any obvious way to do that.

Paul

Man I must be from a forgotten era. Only roaming I did was in the woods by my house with a stick in my hand. My only adventure was wondering what the next varmint encounter would be. As for being free, there were no boundaries, just little barbed wire fences to cross and streams to conquer. That was the life of a poor Louisiana Coon-***. But times have changed without regard to my background and somehow the path I chose got me here.... or maybe it was my buddies brother flying an F-16 over my house at 300 feet AGL at about .8 mach. Huuum not sure if that influenced me or not... ;) I do know for sure Pauls Aircraft is certainly worthy of RV of the Month! Congtrats Paul!

-Jeff