Scott Will

Well Known Member
I was searching around various parts houses looking for a NAS oversize bolt to fix my NLG leg with. Specifically I was searching for a NAS6605-28X or -28Y as was suggested by Tom of GAHco.

So I stumbled upon a website where you put a request for quote in.... I did that and got this back. Boy did I get a laugh! $400!!! The funny thing is Tom carries this bolt for around $20! Needless to say he has my business. Maybe they saw Delta Air Lines as my company and decided to up the price a bit (you had to enter something for the company).

QUOTE #31482
Delta Air Lines, Inc
Terms:
Sales Rep: Krystal Adair
Added: 5-24-07 5:05 PM
Issued: 5-25-07 2:50 PM
Last Modified: 5-25-07 2:50 PM
Mfg: Unknown
RoHS: U
Pb F: U
Qty: 0
Price: $0.000000
Line Total: $0.00
Desc.: Any date Any ()
Qty: 1
Price: $400.000000
Line Total: $400.00
Desc.: FACTORY NEW / MFG CERTS / BOLT / 3-5 DAYS SHIP ARO ______________________________________________________________________

Total: $400.00

Thanks!!
-Krystal

@wbparts.com

By the way...

Scott Will said:
I was searching around various parts houses looking for a NAS oversize bolt to fix my NLG leg with. Specifically I was searching for a NAS6605-28X or -28Y as was suggested by Tom of GAHco.

So I stumbled upon a website where you put a request for quote in.... I did that and got this back. Boy did I get a laugh! $400!!! The funny thing is Tom carries this bolt for around $20! Needless to say he has my business. Maybe they saw Delta Air Lines as my company and decided to up the price a bit (you had to enter something for the company).

QUOTE #31482
Delta Air Lines, Inc
Terms:
Sales Rep: Krystal Adair
Added: 5-24-07 5:05 PM
Issued: 5-25-07 2:50 PM
Last Modified: 5-25-07 2:50 PM
Qty: 0
Price: $0.000000
Line Total: $0.00
Desc.: Any date Any ()
Qty: 1
Price: $400.000000
Line Total: $400.00
Desc.: FACTORY NEW / MFG CERTS / BOLT / 3-5 DAYS SHIP ARO ______________________________________________________________________

Total: $400.00

Thanks!!
-Krystal

@wbparts.com

By the way, Scott

The Bolt we sent you, has full paperwork, (manuf = Heartland), if you do ever need it for Delta.
The package we sent you has the Manuf Name and Lot# along with our PO# and the Receiving #, with all of that, we can retrieve all of our documents pertaining to that lot.

I noticed that they indicated it had a pedigree, but the manuf was "unknown".

For $400.00 you would think it would be delivered in a Purple Velvet pillow by a well known celebrity.

They list the manu. as unknown because they don't want Scott to go directly to their supplier and cut them out. Very common practice. The standard aerospace practice was to sell to the OEM at a loss and make it up in the after market, it was/is the only way to win a Boeing or Airbus contract.

Ohhh believe me, I know the pricing game in the aerospace industry. Working in maintenance engineering at Delta, I've held parts that cost more than a house. And while at Pratt & Whitney in Connecticut, it was passed along in conversation that 100% profit margins are targeted.

Just like Gillette, they practically give away the product and kill you on the disposables and replacements.

Manufacturers

briand said:
They list the manu. as unknown because they don't want Scott to go directly to their supplier and cut them out. Very common practice. The standard aerospace practice was to sell to the OEM at a loss and make it up in the after market, it was/is the only way to win a Boeing or Airbus contract.

You can call the manufacturer of mine on this one.

If they have over-runs from my batch they will charge you mucho dinero for small Qty's. They will be happy to run a thousand or so for at least 4-6 bucks each. Good deal if you can use that many.

We actually had these made with 4 or 5 other lengths to fix loose c-210 spar attach fittings, these are the shortest ones. They gave us a good price for ordering so much at a time, that was 5 years ago, the NEW prices of manufacture have gone up by significant factor.

Most manufacturers are not interested in selling to individual end users, they want to sell to OEM's or Distributors.