petehowell

Well Known Member
I posted a few years ago that my sister-in-law had breast cancer, but it looked like that were able to get it early. That event prompted my wife to raise over $2000 and take part in the Susan G. Komen 3-day Walk for Breast Cancer. 60 miles over 3 days with thousands of other pink warriors fighting for a cure.

Well, the prognosis for my sister-in-law was premature. The nasty critter came back and now she has stage 4 cancer.

The return of the nastiness prompted my wife, and this time, my daughter to once again participate in the 3-day. They are accompanied by, believe it or not, my sister-in-law! Even though the bad stuff is in there, she is fighting hard and living life out loud. 20 miles down, 10 more to go. The text messages tell me the journey is pretty special. Between the 3 of them, they raised almost $9000 to help find a cure........

The low ceilings cleared out tonight and I went up to snap some photos of the base camp. These ladies are definitely in the PINK! Reports from the ground say the gals liked the "air show".....

The%203-Day%202010%20050.jpg

The%203-Day%202010%20095.jpg

The%203-Day%202010%20105.jpg

After the photo shoot, I exited the Bravo and climbed on top - It was beautiful - gives you hope......
The%203-Day%202010%20117.jpg

Last edited:
Pete, my sister lost to that 3 yrs ago. Gather strength where you can, live life, accept death. It affects men as well as women.

In July, my wife and I, plus two of our best friends, borrowed a Bonanza and spent a theater weekend in Des Moines, IA. We stayed at the B&B owned by Pete's sister-in-law Lauren and were blessed to meet such a remarkable woman and her family. I will always remember our Sunday morning conversation with her as she shared her story of courage and faith. She remains in our prayers.

Thanks for the photos, Pete!

Cancer sucks, no doubt about it. It's something that I think all of us can relate to in one way or another because everyone knows someone who's life was cut short by it. For example, I'm reminded of a very special Young Eagle flight I was honored to make.

I just lost an aunt to ovarian cancer on Friday. As I was reading your post I just happened to be listening to a song on my iPhone by Eva Cassidy who died from melanoma at age 33 (my age).

Breast cancer gets a lot of attention (and rightly so) but we shouldn't forget that it isn't the biggest cancer risk for women, not even by a long shot. The biggest risk and most fatal is lung cancer.

Thanks for sharing, Pete.