RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I now have 48 hours on my 7 and would like to share a few thoughts. Everything is working great with the only real issue being some higher than desireable oil temps. A solution is at hand and when I break the plane down for paint, I'll re install the cooler on the back left baffle with the help a special stand off specifically for the larger oil cooler. (SW8432R) This will be new product from Robbie Attaway at Attawayair.com. More to follow.

The ECI IO360, Emag/Pmag, and Whirlwind 200RV prop combination are performing flawlessly. Oil burn has been less than a quart over the 48 hours. (two oil changes) I would do nothing different up front.

My panel is all electric with no convential gauges. The stack includes a 340 audio panel, 430 GPS, SL40 and 330S transponder. The best money spent on the entire project was the Mode S transponder that ties into the 430 for traffic alerts. Living under the Class B in Phx, I have found the traffic display, not only helpful but scary at times.

If you live in any larger metro area or will be flying into one frequently, I highly recommend this, or similar combination. I have made two trips to Corona CA already and have found the traffic extremely beneficial.

I also used the EXPbus switch system. I wouldn't do this again. Although it works great, the instructions were not very good and there are a few limitations. If anyone wants specifics, email me direct.

Also very beneficial, has been the parking brake. On my first run to Corona it was very windy. While at the pumps, the airplane want to start to pivot. I locked the parking brake, problem solved. The cost was roughly $130 with new hoses and about 4 hours to install. Money and time well spent.

Now, time to finish up the landing gear leg fairings and intersections fairings and I'm ready for paint.

The RV has been a dream to fly. The only thing getting used to is getting it slowed down. Getting into the pattern at under 100 knots is really tough after going a 170+ knots. Feels like you're going to fall out of the sky!!!

As has been said numerous times, keep pound'n those rivets. All of the discomfort and frustrations quickly go away.

Last edited by a moderator:
great report darwin! glad to hear all is going well. the oil temp problem sounds like an easy solution.

let us know how it works out! :cool:

If only that were true

RV7Guy said:
The best money spent on the entire project was the Mode S transponder that ties into the 430 for traffic alerts. Living under the Class B in Phx, I have found the traffic display, not only helpful but scary at times.

If you live in any larger metro area or will be flying into one frequently, I highly recommend this, or similar combination. I have made two trips to Corona CA already and have found the traffic extremely beneficial.

We had the Garmin rep at our EAA mtg the other day to talk about GPS's. During that conversation, the topic of Mode S came up.... As most know the FAA is phasing it out. Actually, they are phasing in a new Radar system to replace their aging infrastructure and Mode S *isn't* part of that new system. We've already had one site that used to provide Mode S decommissioned here, and are about to have a second one over in the AL area.

So, *if* you do Mode S, expect it to become useless in 2-4 years. Some argue that during that time, consider your 2K cost delta to be a service fee and rationalize the expense that way. I'm very sad that the FAA has decided that Mode S isn't useful. I fly behind it all the time in my 182 and love it, but my Legacy won't have it, I'll plan for ADS-B instead as that looks like the horse the FAA is riding to replace the mode S capability.

This has been a long fought effort by Garmin, but it appears that even their recent petitions have failed to convince the FAA otherwise. :(

Great report Darwin. You've really been burning off the test hours!

My home airport is right on the approach path for 2 busy Seattle area class D airports, squeezed below the 3k ring of SeaTac. I'd love to have a traffic display. I was planning on it until I heard it was being phased out. I'm now going to save my $$ for ADS-B. Hopefully the FAA steps up their plans to roll it out. And Garmin comes out with a reasonably priced unit that interfaces with the 430 and hopefully 396.

Keep the Hand Helds readily accessible

It is easy to convince yourself that your electrical system is a 100% reliable system. It is not! You have made your decision and I am leaning toward electrical dependancy as well because it is so darned clean, and accurate and reliable. But, if you plan to travel east where you don't have familiar mountains and ranges to guide you, I think it would be a good idea to have your hand helds fired up and ready for immediate use in case of an electrical failure and be reasonably proficient in compass usage. This is in no way a critical input just one of information sharing. The transition from "it flies" to "travel usage" will bring some sobering off nominal system function and performance days and fall back to non-aircraft electrical system dependent backups will be necessary. Pilotage can be demanding if you haven't been following the intended course on a sectional and all of a sudden you have conditions that require you to fly an unplanned route. Just think of all the crutches you loose when the electrical system goes down - it happened to me on Monday of this week and it was a humbling experience. When I got out of the test period I had all of my hand held equipment within easy reach - including fresh batteries. As the flight hours rolled by I started to unintentionally get more complacent. When we got the low voltage warning light Monday, my hand held GPS was in the bottom of my flight bag in the bagage compartment with low batteries. I was able to find fresh batteries I had just bought in another bag in the bagage compartment. The excellent handheld radio was so burried in the bagage compartment I simply could not get to it. Once I had put new batteries in the old reliable GPS90 it took around a half hour at 170+ kts for it to find where it was. Then it took me a while to precisely identify where we were racing across the featureless Mississippi flatland. Nothing got out of control but I had a flight with little fuel margin and the pucker factor was way up especially with the last 40 miles across the unforgiving Ozarks to Drake Field in Northwest Arkansas. I'm not one to just land at the first airport if the resources are there to get the job done - that's just my problem I guess - but when the electrical system goes down the pilot demands go up and the more dependent your plane is on the electrical system the greater the demands. Like I said earlier - just sharing info. I will have my backups better organized before my next trip and I am rethinking my inclination to eliminate the vacuum pump.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Mode S

So, *if* you do Mode S, expect it to become useless in 2-4 years. Some argue that during that time, consider your 2K cost delta to be a service fee and rationalize the expense that way. I'm very sad that the FAA has decided that Mode S isn't useful. I fly behind it all the time in my 182 and love it, but my Legacy won't have it, I'll plan for ADS-B instead as that looks like the horse the FAA is riding to replace the mode S capability.

Well, certainly you can do what you want. The FAA is traditionally 2-4 years behind their intent. Meanwhile, in just 48 hours of flying I have had 3 encounters that could have been deadly without the system. I was advised of traffic that I could not see.

Regarding the phase out, I'm confident that Garmin will have a direct replacement and possible upgrade for the 330S. I will worry about that when the time comes. In the mean time, I am extremely happy with the performance of the system and will use it extensively. There are areas where to spend money and those where not. This is one where there was no question in my mind. Even with the eventual phase out, I will get considerable use and benefit for an additional $1800 or so bucks.

And Bob has a very valid point regarding preparation for a systems failure. Whenever I go where I am not familiar I try to fly airways and always use a map like the old days. Unfortunately, many new pilots don't get the experience of flying only VOR's and pilotage as it used be taught as the only real method of navigation. Way too much dependency on electronics.

Electrical failure

Bob Axsom said:
Just think of all the crutches you loose when the electrical system goes down - it happened to me on Monday of this week and it was a humbling experience.
I can imagine it is a pretty big pain. Since I'm building an electrically dependent aircraft, it will be more than a big pain for me if I lose electrons. Do you mind sharing what happened to your system, so we can learn from the failure?

Always chock when fueling

First of all, congratulations on flying off your hours. When are you gonna paint that thing?! :rolleyes:

Also very beneficial, has been the parking brake. On my first run to Corona it was very windy. While at the pumps, the airplane want to start to pivot. I locked the parking brake, problem solved. The cost was roughly $130 with new hoses and about 4 hours to install. Money and time well spent.

A couple of thoughts on this note:
  1. When I pull up to fuel pumps, I disregard the yellow arrows painted on the ground if there are no other planes around. I pull forward to the pump facing into the wind. If people look at you funny, screw em! It's funny you mention Corona (where I normally fuel), because with the fuel island the way it is, you can come in from any direction. I take advantage of that and pull up into the wind.
  2. I always chock the plane when fueling...or use the parking brake like you mentioned if there's a slope or if the wind is so gusty that the plane will roll before I have a chance to chock it (rare, but it happens).

This type of forethought, I'm sure, is not as big of an issue in nosedraggers. But in light RV taildraggers, it can be an issue with any sort of wind -- including prop blast from inconsiderate dumbasses also at the fuel pit. There's no worse time for your plane to try to move on you than when you've got 100LL spewing out of a nozzle. Always chock (or brake) at the pumps imho.

Anyway, back on topic -- congrats Darwin, and I look forward to flying with you!

Mode S vs. ADS-B

RV7Guy said:
Well, certainly you can do what you want. The FAA is traditionally 2-4 years behind their intent. Meanwhile, in just 48 hours of flying I have had 3 encounters that could have been deadly without the system. I was advised of traffic that I could not see.

Regarding the phase out, I'm confident that Garmin will have a direct replacement and possible upgrade for the 330S.

I wasn't trying to tell you that you spent your money poorly, I just wanted to make sure that others had all the facts.... I absolutely agree with your premise of it's benefit, and have also experienced a "near miss" that I would have been interesting if I hadn't had Mode S in the 182.

I also thought as you that - ah, it's the FAA, it will take forever before it's phased out, then in a matter of weeks, one site *was* phased out and another is about to be. Remember, mode S is only available in high traffic areas (primarily Class B areas). These will also be the first areas to get the new radar, so I expect it will happen sooner than later.

As an aside, I've talked with Garmin about this topic at length. In fact, they sent me the letter that they potitioned the FAA with to encourage them not to discontinue mode S. It doesn't seem to be having any effect. Also, you'd think that all the new Certified airplanes that have mode S would sway the FAA... Also doesn't seem to make any difference.

If you have it, use it while it lasts, if you are setting on the fence or only have the dollars to make the investment once, then I'd think twice about it right now.

As for a 330 replacement...... I doubt that will happen. The ADS-B technology doesn't support the concept of a Transponder, so it's functions are entirely different than a transponders. I just don't see Garmin making a box that replaces the 330 and gives you transponder and ads-b. The interface to other avionice with ads-b is entirely different. You get some limited weather, traffic with additional informaiton that mode S doesn't provide, and you have a 1M data stream that can be used for other data applications... Messaging comes to mind. At the moment, all the east coast has ADS-B coverage and the rollout is even quicker for it than for the phase out of mode S. It has applications with the commerical guys, so that means it will happen quicker...

Do I think that the technology today will be the final, no, but I'll place my bet on in in general doing forward.

my .02,

Last edited:
chasing technology

I always tell those building to wait as long as possible to finalize avionics as it will surely change.

RV7Guy said:
I now have 48 hours on my 7 and would like to share a few thoughts. Everything is working great with the only real issue being some higher than desireable oil temps. A solution is at hand and when I break the plane down for paint, I'll re install the cooler on the back left baffle with the help a special stand off specifically for the larger oil cooler. (SW8432R) This will be new product from Robbie Attaway at Attawayair.com. More to follow.

The ECI IO360, Emag/Pmag, and Whirlwind 200RV prop combination are performing flawlessly. Oil burn has been less than a quart over the 48 hours. (two oil changes) I would do nothing different up front.

My panel is all electric with no convential gauges. The stack includes a 340 audio panel, 430 GPS, SL40 and 330S transponder. The best money spent on the entire project was the Mode S transponder that ties into the 430 for traffic alerts. Living under the Class B in Phx, I have found the traffic display, not only helpful but scary at times.

I also used the EXPbus switch system. I wouldn't do this again. Although it works great, the instructions were not very good and there are a few limitations. If anyone wants specifics, email me direct.

Now, time to finish up the landing gear leg fairings and intersections fairings and I'm ready for paint.

The RV has been a dream to fly. The only thing getting used to is getting it slowed down. Getting into the pattern at under 100 knots is really tough after going a 170+ knots. Feels like you're going to fall out of the sky!!!

As has been said numerous times, keep pound'n those rivets. All of the discomfort and frustrations quickly go away.

I have the opportunity to fly my friends RV7 while I'm building my 9A.
I hope that I will like the 9 as much as the 7

Good luck!

Peter

RV7Guy said:
<snip>...The RV has been a dream to fly. The only thing getting used to is getting it slowed down. Getting into the pattern at under 100 knots is really tough after going a 170+ knots. Feels like you're going to fall out of the sky!!!...
Great report Darwin! I would like to suggest to ALL new RV pilots that you get VERY comfortable flying your RV in the pattern at 70-80 knots. When flying in areas that get little traffic, it's easy to run around the pattern at 80-100 knots.

But once you start traveling away from home and find yourself in a BUSY pattern, LOTS of planes, controlled airport (or not), #6 to land (can you say SMO?) with a J-3 Cub leading the pack, you'll understand my suggestion here :D

I suggest you spend some time at altitude trying to 'hold altitude' at 70-80 knots (or less and liking it!). It was three weeks after my first flight I found myself in line at OSH, behind a Cub but thankful my instructor Howard Long got me comfortable floating along at <70 knots in the pattern!

Fly safe all! ;) Rosie