Sticky1

Well Known Member
Why haven't any of the efi manufacturers given us an output from the display when we r over the blue spot on the display and below an airspeed I can set?

The blue spot being water....

Gear up warning

The NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center is currently developing technology to prevent ground collisions using a very high resolution and presumably accurate terrain database.

This database would presumably be capable or including bodies of water that are capable of handling amphibious planes, so it is entirely possible that gear position warnings that depend on height above terrain (water) and the type of surface.

Existing databases may not be precise or accurate enough to be reliable, but that is obviously improving. In the meantime, NASA is developing this in conjuction with autopilot devices to take control of aircraft and avoid CFIT.

What amphib RV do you have? ;)

SkyView can give amphib gear warnings, but this is not based on "over" water. It just reminds you to check based on your gear state at a specific set airspeed.

We live in Seattle and have a few seaplanes at Dynon, so we know the issues. However, detecting you are "over" water is almost impossible. We have an airport here at Renton where there is a Land airport right on the edge of the water, but the water in front of the runway is a seaplane base. What logic are we supposed to use to figure out if you are planning on landing on the water or the land? Change your vertical speed by 50 FPM and the computer will think you are going to hit water not land. Use the simple logic of "over" water and it will scream WATER LANDING the whole time you are on a LAND approach.

Beyond that, many lake approaches are done over land and the water is just at the end of the approach.

Given these issues, we had no reliable way to guess if you are water or land, and a warning that works 70% of the time and fails 30% of the time is just waiting for someone to come and blame us for not warning them because they were used to it working. So at the given airspeed, the system says "LAND LANDING" or "WATER LANDING" in your headset so you can make sure everything is correct.

Last edited:
What amphib RV do you have? ;)

SkyView can give amphib gear warnings, but this is not based on "over" water. It just reminds you to check based on your gear state at a specific set airspeed.

We live in Seattle and have a few seaplanes at Dynon, so we know the issues. However, detecting you are "over" water is almost impossible. We have an airport here at Renton where there is a Land airport right on the edge of the water, but the water in front of the runway is a seaplane base. What logic are we supposed to use to figure out if you are planning on landing on the water or the land? Change your vertical speed by 50 FPM and the computer will think you are going to hit water not land. Use the simple logic of "over" water and it will scream WATER LANDING the whole time you are on a LAND approach.

Beyond that, many lake approaches are done over land and the water is just at the end of the approach.

Given these issues, we had no reliable way to guess if you are water or land, and a warning that works 70% of the time and fails 30% of the time is just waiting for someone to come and blame us for not warning them because they were used to it working. So at the given airspeed, the system says "LAND LANDING" or "WATER LANDING" in your headset so you can make sure everything is correct.

And here I thought RV stood for recreational vehicle. I have one of those; it's called a plane. Thankfully I can land more than once in the water.....:rolleyes:

There are all sorts of scenarios that can play out. With that being said; I guess I have my answer.

So when r u going to come up with something that works?

PS - My Garmin is certified to 7 feet of centerline.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you are asking. We have a system that we believe makes amphib aircraft safer to fly and reminds the pilot to check their gear. Our customers with amphib aircraft say it works and is a vast improvement on having nothing.

We do not currently have plans to update this system to automatically estimate if you are approaching a water landing or land, as we do not believe it can be done effectively and safely. This has nothing to do with the accuracy of our GPS receiver or our databases, so I'm not sure what any of this has to do with a certified GPS that doesn't have this feature either.

My comment wasn't a comment re your gps. I was nearly stating that my 530 is certified to 7 feet of centerline. I don't know why that gps info along with airspeed can't b used to give an accurate output of position over water

You need one of these, let me know if you would like pricing info (better be sitting down) :D

Designed for applications such as helicopter seaplane operations where accuracy is needed down to zero feet, the RA-4000 Radar Altimeters provide precise AGL information from 2,500 feet down to ground level.

The RA-4000 Radar Altimeter with its RS232 output can be easily coupled with electronic flight information systems (EFIS) and flight director systems. Proven and precise, both systems offer improved situational awareness for a broad range of fixed and rotary wing aircraft.

rad40.jpg

ra_4000.jpg

http://www.freeflightsystems.com/products/radar-altimeters/ra-4000

My comment wasn't a comment re your gps. I was nearly stating that my 530 is certified to 7 feet of centerline. I don't know why that gps info along with airspeed can't b used to give an accurate output of position over water

It's not a problem of position or airspeed, the EFIS can very easily tell whether you are over water NOW or not - it's a problem of knowing what your FUTURE intentions are. How does the system know if your are on a very low approach to a runway that begins at waters edge, or about to start a steep approach to a water landing, for example? Like Dynon said, many runways are right next to the water, and a very slight change in vertical speed or direction could lead a computer to change its mind about where you intend to land.

Seeing as there is no foolproof way for the computer to read your mind, there is no way they could assume that kind of liability, I would think. There could also be a switch so you could TELL the EFIS your intentions, but if you're doing that you might as well just put the gear in the right position instead.

Already have a radar altimeter in the plane.

Why not just give an output for over the blue spot and another for speed that I can set via software.

These outputs do not have to be for any particular purpose; just have to be. I will do the rest.

Thank you