N941WR

Legacy Member
Way back when I was starting to lay out my panel I saw a picture you posted of yours, complete with one of Dayton's throttle quadrants.

With each flight I like that quadrant more and more.

Thanks for the tip!

Quadrant question

Hi,
Quadrent question to all those who have gone before me.
I am rebuilding a RV6A with 0320 & fp prop and I have as Daytons quadrent that I want to install.
1) I've seen many variations in height ,some just under panel , some lower by several inches. Do you have a preference ? and what would that be ?

2) Most important (to me) is I'm having a tough time trying to figure the cable lengths and I understand that there is a difference in distance from bulkhead mounting nut and threaded end between Vans & A/S.Is there a preference ? What was your solution??
Thanks in advance
Bob

Bob,

I mounted mine centered under the panel and it is easy to fly with. Note, I have manual trim so mounting it low would not have worked for me.

As for the cable lengths, I used some safety wire to measure the distance from the quadrant to the carb. Roberta told me to order them the standard length, which didn't apply to my -9 with the smaller engine because my engine mount is longer than "standard". In the end, I used the 44.5" stock cable that Van's sells. That way you can return them, if they don't work out.

Also, I bought some different clevis ends from Aircraft Spruce because the ones that came with the cable didn't work out. The 10/7/06 entry on the following page has a picture and description.

There are pictures on my panel page showing how I mounted this thing. As you look at those pictures, keep in mind that I have an Affordable Panels panel so the way you mount yours may need to be changed.

You're welcome, Bill. I know I really enjoy mine.

A couple points. I did drill holes up higher in the levers to increase the travel on the throttle and mixture. I also had the problem of the Van's clevises binding on the levers when pulled all the way out. I ground some areas of the levers off to help clear the clevises. You do need the narrower Van's clevises with the three lever setup like mine, But as Bill noted, the ACS levers are fine with the two lever control.

Mounting my Quadrant in the same spot below the panel as you would the Verniers allowed the use of the same "specied length" as the Verniers. I'm not sure how they are measured. I think the mounting locations is the key to that. Anyway, my engine application used a certain length vernier cable called out by Van's, so I ordered that same length, but the CT Qs. They fit just fine. So under these circumstances, I would recommend that.

Roberta

Bill, Roberta, et al,
I don't know how tall you are, but any issues with lateral knee clearance and the throttle quadrant? Any hard points when resting the knee against it, or does your right knee slide underneath? At 6'2", I'm interested in the same, but concerned. Perhaps it could be mounted higher on the panel.
Thanks,
Carl

Carl,

I have not had an issue but a friend who sat in mine had more of an issue with the Affordable Panels sub-panel that I installed than the throttle quadrant.

When I told him I could move the seat back and lower the cushion he thought even that wouldn't be an issue.

Quad

Carl,

In my 7A Slider Standard Panel the Quadrant is mounted center underneath. I am 6' tall with long legs and my knee will hit the quadrant but doesn't look like it will be much of an issue (Not flying yet). There are bolt heads on the side but I will be able to cover those if they are an issue with my knee. As for mounting it higher, I would have never thought of doing that since it fits so nice underneath. I also rebuilt all three levers to increase the throw and give the cables a straighter angle into the quad. The levers are exactly the same as the stock ones only I made them wider at the points of cable clevis conection. This raised the cables up higher plus gave me the throw I needed.

Richard
RV7A
Slinger, WI