Piper J3

Well Known Member
I?ve been pestering you guys for the past several weeks to get information for the flying RV-12 I recently bought. Everyone has been very kind to respond to my requests and I have been able to fix little squawks and now thoroughly enjoying the new plane. I just want to say what a joy it is to fly the RV-12.

A little history? I?m currently age 62 retired mechanical engineer. My other aviation interests are here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=237058 and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GE7V7NPVzQ My father flew B-17?s in WWII and taught me to fly when I was in high school a very long time ago. We owned a J3-Cub together for 23 years. My total flying history is 1200 hours - all in 65 hp vintage tail draggers. Fast forward to today? My father passed 8 years ago and I still miss him terribly. A month ago I traded ?our? Cub plus a wad of cash for a beautiful flying ELSA RV-12 with only 50 hours TT. I rationalized the decision by saying I?m getting older and I had better do this sooner than later.

My thoughts on my decision?. Wow, what a nice flying airplane! The owner/builder of the RV-12 I purchased is a flight instructor so he gave me a checkout which amounted to four takeoff?s and landings to a full stop. I felt comfortable in the plane immediately. The plane, as different as it is from the Cub, was never out ahead of me. I?ve only flown one time in a Van?s aircraft and it was as a passenger in a RV-8 with no stick in back seat. I?ve never flown in a RV-12 until this deal came along. Nice airplane ? solid, smooth, comfortable, visibility extraordinaire, good climb and speed, economical, extremely easy to fly. My next goal is to take the 16-hour LSA Repairman Inspection Aircraft Course at EAA AirVenture this coming year so I can do my own maintenance and Condition Inspections.

Glad you guys welcomed me into the RV-12 fraternity. I think it?s going to be a long association?

Piper J3
Hinckley, OH

Hey Jim,
Congratulations on your first RV.

You don't need the repairman certificate to do maintenance, repair, or even mods to experimental light-sport aircraft. The repairman certificate is only to allow you to perform the condition inspection.

My thoughts on my decision?. Wow, what a nice flying airplane! The owner/builder of the RV-12 I purchased is a flight instructor so he gave me a checkout which amounted to four takeoff?s and landings to a full stop. I felt comfortable in the plane immediately. The plane, as different as it is from the Cub, was never out ahead of me. I?ve only flown one time in a Van?s aircraft and it was as a passenger in a RV-8 with no stick in back seat. I?ve never flown in a RV-12 until this deal came along. Nice airplane ? solid, smooth, comfortable, visibility extraordinaire, good climb and speed, economical, extremely easy to fly.

Piper J3
Hinckley, OH

Nice story welcome Jim! Take a young lad with you sometime as your father did.

Or lass! My wife reminds me of how she was discouraged from aviation as a teen because it was not "lady like"!

Good thing she didn't listen as we met as CAP cadets in 1970!

Rich

"Take a young lad with you sometime as your father did."

I’m actually working on the other end of the spectrum. My friend is 76 years old. He was a Crew Chief on A-4 Skyhawk’s in the Navy and all ways wanted to fly. We had about 40 hours together in the Cub before I traded for the 12. Now he’s got the RV smile. He’s literally having the time of his life…

Piper J3