David-aviator

Well Known Member
.....I prefer to have someone like Monty Barrett put my engine together and test it on a dyno before first flight.

Yes, everyone needs to save money but this is one area where there is no substitute for experience. I've considered doing it and finally decided it is not worth the money saved as I am convinced not everyone can do a decent job assembling an engine - especially me.

Just food for thought for guys sitting on the fence with regard to this subject.....the money saved on a basic panel vrs all the glass goodies available these days will go a long way toward a professionally built engine.

Last edited:
I think thats perfectly rational

Bearing in mind you get a warranty on a completed engine but a parts engine will only give you the warranty on the parts.

I have built hundreds of engines over the years and at the time the cost to have a shop assemble it was $1500 or something....As I'd never wrenched on a Lycoming the choice was clear..I had plenty of other things to do..:)

Another (psychological) thought...The RV's are travelling machines..I have never flown so far over such inhospitible terrain on occasion..Now I did torque that nut on the..didn't I?..

Frank

Well there is another value

I have never worked on the inside of an engine used on an airplane. I definitely do not like being in this position of practical ignorance - general theory is only so good when you strive for improvement. I have worked on many projects and many technologies in the aerospace industry and I know that you can only fully appreciate the techniques and skills of the masters if you have suffered the learning and achieved some measure of success in the field yourself. That is what I miss. There are two areas that I have not touched in my personal attempts to make my airplane faster. One is the prop and the other is the engine. The thing that stops me is cost and not the reluctance to take on the challenge. If they had been available when I built my airplane I would have seriously considered that option.

Bob Axsom

Missing the best part?

For me, the engine was the one of the most enjoyable parts of the project. Seeing all those shiny new or rebuilt pieces before they came together really de-mystified the process.

John Allen
RV-6A

For me, the engine was the one of the most enjoyable parts of the project. ...snip

Me too. I have 800 hours on my ECi kit engine to date. Danny King (who has rebuilt several a/c engines) walked me through each turn of the wrench. A very educational and satisfying experience. We did mic every part. What surprised me most was the small number of parts.

I'd do it again (with Danny watching over my shoulder).

b,
d

Last edited:
Superior

I don't believe that you give up the warranty if you build it at the Superior build school.

Hans

It's not that complicated.

.....I prefer to have someone like Monty Barrett put my engine together and test it on a dyno before first flight.

Yes, everyone needs to save money but this is one area where there is no substitute for experience. I've considered doing it and finally decided it is not worth the money saved as I am convinced not everyone can do a decent job assembling an engine - especially me.

Typical Lycoming aircraft engines are no more complicated than a lawnmower.

Would I fly behind an engine I assembled? Absolutely. With good manuals, quality parts and a couple of "experienced" friends to help with questions, no problem.

Caveat:

I know quite a bit about engines in general, my IO360-A1B6 in particular. I would seek advice and help on any question that I was not absolutely sure of.

YMMV

Not trying to start anything and while I agree with the spirit of this oft repeated statement, having built both I respectfully disagree. Dual mags and their drives, non-integral cyls, pushrods and their tubes, rockers, etc., and just more of everything make it a significantly bigger job than building a mower motor.

I'm goin' for it

One of the most difficult projects I ever did was the rebuild on my '85 mr 2's 4-AG motor. Literaly HUNDREDS of parts ,not to mention the actual install,[talk about cramped] made it very demanding -but it still only took me a week.That engine was extremely complex but it has never failed me in the last 60000 miles and the satisfaction and pride and confidence it gave me made it all worth while.I took that experience to the Ford engine next and it was even easier.Basicly, if you can read and follow directions and dont mind getting dirty,if you can follow a RECIPE in a cook book,you can rebuild an engine and really come to understand and take all the mystery out of it.Lycomings appear to be fairly simple engines ,[but precise]and I'm personally looking forward to getting inside one and building it up!

It is all fine if everything is machined and toleranced correctly. If it is not, the inexperienced person may just assemble it (seen this dozens of times) and think all is well. Often times the kabbooom is not far in the future when this is the case. Lots to know to assemble an engine and what to look for that does not come from a manual- only experience. You need a full set of mics and gauges to really do it right. I never trust the machine shop to machine things right.

If you have a pro looking over your shoulder as you do it- that is a great learning experience.

Building your own

Have a fellow RVATOR that was at an airshow watching a "professional" build an engine (lyc), he noticed that he was micing(?) each new part. He asked him why, he said, even new parts are sometimes made wrong, and I can only guess he had been had before. My next engine will be built by me, I have done everything else on an engine, just not the bottom end.
Now, did I buck thoes rivits? "You must trust in the force Luke"!

Randy

Would I fly behind an engine I assembled? Absolutely. With good manuals, quality parts and a couple of "experienced" friends to help with questions, no problem.

Caveat:

I know quite a bit about engines in general, my IO360-A1B6 in particular. I would seek advice and help on any question that I was not absolutely sure of.

YMMV

I rebuilt a Honda lawn mower engine last year and so far it still does it's thing but I don't get off the ground with it and it did not need a length of "00" silk thread in the gasket compound along the outside edge of the left crankcase half.....thank goodness, for sure I would have forgotten it until after the engine was all together. :) My 1974 overhaul manual does say there is an alternate method of sealing the halves - Service Instruction No. 1125 - so maybe no one uses the thread anymore.

Micro checking all the parts of an engine is not my cup of tea and I bet most guys don't do it. As Ross says, it should be done. A good shop will make sure the parts meet spec and are balanced. I once had a tour of Victor Aviation at Palo Alto and the guy said you'd be surprised how far out of tolerance parts in a new engine can be.

To each his own. For sure I'd forget something as innocuous as the silk thread the first time through.....

Last edited:
The Lycoming Warranty... H-M-M-M Timeliness

I ordered my brand new O-360-A1A from Van's but it was delivered directly from Lycoming with a LASAR ignition system and test report saying that it was tested in a test cell. I ordered it at the time in the build process when I thought I would surely complete the plane in one more year. It actually took more than four additioanl years to complete the airplane. When I made the initial test flights I had to throttle way back to un-peg the EGT and the plane was barely hanging in the air. I called Van's, Lycoming, Precision Airmotive and Unison to work through the problem. It turned out that Lycoming had set the timing over 60 degrees ahead of the specified 25 deg BTDC point. I bought the timing box from Van's and fixed the problem coordinating with a West Coast Lycoming rep in Washington state, Precision Airmotive in Washington and the Unison Service Engineer in Florida. The most interesting thing in the context of this thread is the response to my first call to Lycoming company's in house customer support. The man asked for my engine information and without even waiting for me to tell him what the problem was he said "it is out of warranty" and was preparing to hang up. I informed him that I was not interested in a warranty I just wanted to get my engine running properly. He gave me the contact information for the west coast field rep who was very helpful (the Unison - LASAR support engineer was even better - I think he has moved on now however). The Lycoming warranty is not much good unless you install the engine and fly it in a reasonably short time.

Bob Axsom

Do you trust your work?

To each his own. For sure I'd forget something as innocuous as the silk thread the first time through.....

I trust my work. I trust my ability to read and follow directions. I trust my engine experience (and it's quite varied).

In short. I trust my work. Period.

I trust that I won't "forget" something as important as the crankcase seal, the nose seals, the oil plugs or the myriad other things that must be done.

It's not "complicated". It's "precise". (big difference).

I trust that I can inspect and do the "right" thing on the hundreds of parts that make up an engine. I trust that if I am not 100% sure of the correct technique or part, I will LEARN it before I continue.

I trust my work and I'm willing to bet my life on it (which I did and do every time I climb into my Long EZ and/or my RV7, or my Murphy Rebel,etc).

An aircraft engine is no more complex or hard to build than a model T ford engine. If you simply take your time, follow the directions EXACTLY and ask for help when/if you get "lost" it's simple. A micrometer or caliper is simply not that hard to use. Neither is a torque wrench. :)

As with all things where your life is on the line, you must PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

Now the question is this:

Do I trust my work more than some strangers at an engine shop?
Why,surprisingly, the answer is yes.
HIS posterior is not on the line in my airplane. Mine is.
YMMV

Randy, The guy you were watching has it right check your parts with a micrometer even if they are new. My dear ol dad set me off rebuilding engines before I was ten years old. He was an engineer by trade and very meticulous. Those were Brigs and Straten engines and such that we had on hand. By the time I was driving I'd participated in several automotive engine builds (VW & Chevy) some of my own and some of friends. I learned to use a micrometer and the proper use of a feeler gauge very early on. I can lap a pretty mean valve if I do say so myself. Checking your parts is the easiest preventative step in assembly you can do. Case in point, several years ago ECI had a problem that I believe ended as a AD. It was caused by the large end of the connecting rod end being manufactured out of round. Turned out the problem was traced back to worn bearings on the equipment used to surface the large end bore of the connecting rod. The error resulted in the babbitt bearing wash boarding on the journal causing an in-flight bearing failure. Had anyone in the build process bothered to check the rod ends for roundness of the rod or rods they would (should) have been rejected. From my perspective aircraft engines of the type we're dealing with are a walk in the park. Any part that I don't have the ability to mic I take to a trusted and well equip. shop.

Building your own engine

Building your own engine is not for everyone. This will be my fourth and I have learned something new on everyone. I like putting all of the parts together and seeing it come out right. Not all engines are perfect even when they come from an assembly shop. Remember that the only things humans are perfect at is being imperfect. My friend bought a new Lycoming (certified) from Vans and a new Hartzell prop. His engine/prop combo was very rough running-vibration wise. When we measured it, it was .627 ips. That is on the verge of stress fatigue of the airframe. I rebuild my engine and took the time to have all of the parts balanced and checked. It came out at under .1 which is very smooth. We had to add offset weights to the flywheel to get it down to .027. It ran like a turbine. Has over 400 hrs on it. Makes no metal, burns no oil, and is baby smooth. It was all done in my garage with simple tools. Granted I had ECI overhaul some of the parts and balance the crank, but I took the time to weigh all of the recip parts.
A few things that I have learned building these.
They are only as complicated as you make them. If you are not sure about something, put the tools down and get help.
Take your time. Don't try to build one in a day. Take each step and work through it until completion.
Pay attention to details. Your engine is your heartbeat, but you rely on more than engine bolts to get you in the air. There and airplane under the seat of your pants that hauling you into the air. It was built in a garage too. Some people think that's really crazy!
It's not all about the money, it's about being able to do it and have fun while doing it.
If you don't want to do it, then pay someone who is knowledgable to do it. Barrows started in his garage too!

Now the question is this:

Do I trust my work more than some strangers at an engine shop?
Why,surprisingly, the answer is yes.
HIS posterior is not on the line in my airplane. Mine is.
YMMV

We come from different world's, Joe.

My flying career was based on trust. If there were no trust the world would come to a grinding halt, especially in aviation. That's not to say every general aviation engine is of high quality work...some are not. But there are companies doing first class work and the one I chose is trusted by some of the top air show performers in the country. None of these people build their own engines.....

Like you, I've built and flown three airplanes, (LEZ, Cozy, RV) and trust my work - but I draw the line with engines. There are lots of guys who know there stuff with engines and I prefer to trust them rather than myself in this area.

Last edited:
This is my first post here, looks like a nice forum.

There are alot of people out there that are wana be engine builders that have done so and not had any problems, probably mostly luck. Its kinda one of those things that if you weren't doing since your 5 or so, then its just a manuver to do that gives someone bragging rights and in some cases is to save some bucks, but in the end costs way more. And agree a top shop can goof up as well. Some times its the parts, some times its the people. But just like a wana be, some of the people doing the work may not be qualified and that is if they are licensensed or not, they are doing the job because it was something to make a buck at. Its way different if you are working at a job that is a passion no matter what kinda work it is. A day in day out job and the "I don't want to be here" feeling will make anyone miss some detail and goof up.
I like the post about an aircraft engine being no more difficult than a lawn mower engine. Yeah basic parts are the same, to do the job properly is the same. The quality of work manship should be the same. But most folks that turn a wrench on automotive and lawn mowers could not do it on an aircraft engine, as the former don't take kindly to driving a screw driver in between the case halves, and other such normal pratices of the average "mechanic".
And saying aircraft engines are simple as?????? isn't true at all, I guess you have never been involved in an overhaul of something like an R-4360.
To properly overhaul an aircraft engine, it is not just put a pile of parts together type of deal. If you don't have a machinist back ground and don't understand precision QC techniques then you should probably stick to lawn mowers.

And saying aircraft engines are simple as?????? isn't true at all, I guess you have never been involved in an overhaul of something like an R-4360.
To properly overhaul an aircraft engine, it is not just put a pile of parts together type of deal. If you don't have a machinist back ground and don't understand precision QC techniques then you should probably stick to lawn mowers.

As I was reading this reply, the R-4360 quickly came to mind........ before you even mentioned it! :)

L.Adamson -- RV6A

building an engine

one thing about engines they are like a jigsaw puzzle, just a difference in how many pieces. some people are comfortable with building the engine, some are not. i am building my IO360B1B and my mentor is looking over my shoulder, or i might not build it myself. i have built a couple of hundred auromotive engines in my life and i feel comfortable around a mic and a torque wrench. i feel confident that between my friend bill and my self that the engine will be fine. he bought a superior experimental O320 for hi rv9a and with 60 hours on it, it has a oil leak on the accessory housing some where. we will have to pressurize the engine with about 5 lbs of air pressure and soap it down to find the leak. one thing that we did find was the the dipstick tube was loose and was safety wired by the factory. so mistakes can be made no matter who builds the engine. for me i might as well do it now, because the whole reason for building a kit plane is to save money on maintenance, and that is one thing that i can do myself. don't ask me to mess with a constant speed prop or tear into any of the avionics. that is beyond my comfort zone. build it or not. that is the question, just be comfortable with your decision.

bob in salt lake, rv6a upper rear skin and assembling engine.

Hmm.

As I was reading this reply, the R-4360 quickly came to mind........ before you even mentioned it! :)

L.Adamson -- RV6A

I didn't know Lycoming made an R-4360. :)

Having worked on some pretty complex lawnmower engines (DOHC, Fuel injected,etc), I stand by my statement. The average LYCOMING engine is no more complex than a lawn mower.

YMMV

Matituck Engine Build Clinic

Every December Matituck Aviation holds a FREE one day engine build clinic on Long Island. When you arrive you will see a crankshaft mounted vertically on a stand and a few tables with engine parts. By five o'clock you will see a completed engine! Very educational. Interestingly this engine is disassembled and not used because during an actual build for a customer EVERY CRITICAL STAGE IS DOUBLE CHECKED BY ANOTHER ENGINE BUILDER. This is the way one of the premier engine companies in the world does it. Food for thought.

I didn't know Lycoming made an R-4360. :)

Having worked on some pretty complex lawnmower engines (DOHC, Fuel injected,etc), I stand by my statement. The average LYCOMING engine is no more complex than a lawn mower.

YMMV

Actually Lycomming holds the record for the largest aircraft piston engine ever made, bigger than PW's 4360, it was 7755 cu in.

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/engines/legacy/index.jsp

I hope that one person is not building the average 4 or 6 cylinder aircraft engine in a day. This is not the place for speed. Even the outfits that build F1 automotive race engines brag about spending 2 weeks or so time in the assembly process.
The idea of how simple it may appear or not is not even a factor, and there is a lot more to it than "mic's and torque wrenches" also I liked the Jig saw puzzle relationship, and I suppose that is how many approach the job.

Yeah the factory probably makes many mistakes, they have and have had since the war days people off the street, that just fill the spot on the assembly line, and before they were hired didn't know a piston from a crankshaft. And there are probably some highly reguarded rebuild/overhaul facilities that are the same.
They can train anyone knowledgable or not into the task that is needed. If you work at it day in and day out you get lax, and goof up while day dreaming or what ever. And alot of you can probably do as good or better a job than most of the big outfits that charge and arm and a leg for their work.
Its a job that should not be considered easy or simple, because it isn't to do it correctly. It is not a jig saw puzzle, it is not just putting parts together or taking them apart. I read the thread about mistakes and quality of workmanship on the airframe, the powerplant is as critical if not more so.

It's all part of the Journey

Wow! I find it interesting that there are such strong opinions from those who decide it is beyond their capability to build an engine that they would trust. The whole reason the FAA allows us to build an airplane is for the educational value. I know I've learned an immense amount, and I did assemble my own ECI engine. What is most interesting is I wonder how an individual can decide that it's not ok to build an engine, but feel fully confident in building a complete airframe or an entire electrical system. I don't feel I need to be any less precise, less informed or have any less integrity in building the airframe than assembling the engine. A single loose nut on an axle can ruin your day just as quickly and simply as an engine assembly error (or a thousand other optional discrepancies). I do feel confident that I give everything the care I believe it should deserve when assembling my RV. Not everyone who works on a purchased engine will do say- as Bob says, it's our but on the line! Building the engine is one of the more simple tasks in my mind; just make sure you have the correct instructions and utilize the knowledge and individuals available for advice.

Every December Matituck Aviation holds a FREE one day engine build clinic on Long Island. When you arrive you will see a crankshaft mounted vertically on a stand and a few tables with engine parts. By five o'clock you will see a completed engine! Very educational. Interestingly this engine is disassembled and not used because during an actual build for a customer EVERY CRITICAL STAGE IS DOUBLE CHECKED BY ANOTHER ENGINE BUILDER. This is the way one of the premier engine companies in the world does it. Food for thought.

I spent the day with Matituck at Sun N fun this past April and watched them build this engine. I went in with the idea I would build my own. After watching them build this one, I decided that 3/4 of the knowledge that went into building a quality engine, was not in the assymbly manual.

I ordered and engine from Van's.

Building the engine is one of the more simple tasks in my mind; just make sure you have the correct instructions and utilize the knowledge and individuals available for advice.

I agree with you, Tim. In my opinion, building the engine was easier than the airframe. Not because of the amount of work, but the skill required. I've built one engine before (about 17 years ago...it was a small block Ford for a 1968 Mustang). It was more complicated than the ECI kit I built, but I found it pretty easy to do.

Like everything else with our airplanes, just pay attention to specs (tolerances and torque values) and you'll be fine. I had an A&P I/A building my kit with me...I'd be lying if I said I didn't think I could've done it without him after I was done. There were a couple things that made it worth it, though. Lapping the valves & seats for one.

Yea good choice for you, others will choose the DIY build

Just food for thought for guys sitting on the fence with regard to this subject.....the money saved on a basic panel vrs all the glass goodies available these days will go a long way toward a professionally built engine.
That is a fair decision for you no one can criticize.

For people that have torn down and assembled a few lycs or have talented friends, A&P's and AI's to lend a hand (and some tools) the choice is easier to go the other way.

There is no secret to assembly but with a shop doing it and even a dyno initial break-in (some times an extra charge) there is warranty implications. If you build your engine and screw-up, it's all on you. I recall engine building service is about $2000 to $3000 more than the kit, appox. Well worth it as you say.

However engine builds are like building a plane, verses buying a finished one. There is fun, learning and satisfaction in DIY engine builds. All the same things apply, time, place, equip and desire to engine builds as plane building. The investment in time is less of course for the engine.

Last edited:
Superior Build School

I really wanted to build my own but also wanted to have every single required specialty tool and an array of spare parts nearby if needed. I wanted a low stress and quick build as well. I went to the Superior build school. Got lots of Texas hospitality, free lunches and drinks, great help from two super experienced builders in a well lit, laboratory-clean shop and a perfect new engine. It did cost a bit more than building it up in my garage, but I really had a lot more fun this way.

I have never built and airframe, but have done too many to number engines of many varieties. Though I have made untold thousands of airframe parts for the big "B".
Personally I think all folks bandie about alot of misnomers on all these forums.
And these misnomers have become an integral part of language when communicating between hobbiests as well as some industry. Some of the popular ones, REBUILT, BUILDING, REBUIDER, BUILDER.

Now when it comes to a complicated machine assembly such as an engine for example. There are a large group of parts that make it up, that are all designed to fit together to make the final product. Any person, even I suppose a monkey can be taught to put almost anything together, that entity would be classified as an ASSEMBLER, not the builder. The Builder is the one that did all the hard work and I don't mean melted and cut some metal, because even in large industry alot of that slave labor type work is outsourced. And like the assembler especially these days anyone with computer skills and some cnc time could COPY anything. The putting it together and the making the parts is the easy part. Its the engineering work that is going to make sure it works and lasts.
When you take an engine or transmission apart and then put in some new wear parts, reassemble it, it is not been REBUILT, it has been OVERHAULLED.
When you get a kit of parts, you ASSEMBLE them.
Difference between the engine and airframe. 1 is moving parts, 2 tolerances
3 lubrication requirements 4 assembly procedures 5 functionality I suppose there are some more.
Anyway on the airframe I can not think of any parts that move fast and under load that require strict adherance to certain tolerances and need constant lubrication. Other than weight and balance there are no strict inertial, torsional damping and balance concerns with an airframe.
An airframe failure is deadly most of the time, but if designed correctly it is rare. There are many more engine failures than airframe failures on aircraft. Because it has parts that are more highly stressed, and various systems that have to work in harmony.
Yes a monkey or little kid given the constant training could probably assemble the engine kit. And it may work fine, in the automotive world there are people that cann't read that can assemble an engine. I know I worked with one.
But unless he was born with knowledge of all the little details, all he does is assemble it and would not know how to check important things less he was shown how. Most all that do this type of work for a living , are only job specific, they have no engineering understanding, they have no manufacturing understanding, or machinist back ground. And some just go fast and don't care, hurry up and get paid.
Yeah it maybe fun or what ever to put them parts together and have it run and being able to pat yourself on your back of the great job done.
But since it isn't your thing that you have been doing since 5 or so do you really understand what all was done and why? Did you take those parts for granted and trust they are perfect? If you don't know what to look for how are you sure that it isn't going to fail on that dreaded take off.

I couldn't agree more. Putting together an engine and putting together an airplane are not the same at all. A real engine builder understands why everything is the way it is from machining, clearancing and metallurgical standpoints.

If everything WAS machined correctly, many people COULD assemble an engine and it COULD work well but this does not make you an engine builder. It takes many years and many engines to be truly good at it. You simply don't know what to look for if something is not right without this experience.

It's when something is not right that bad things happen to engines and sometimes things are just not made right. People blindly assemble something assuming that all it right. If you are lucky it is, if not...:(

By all means learn and enjoy under proper supervision if you don't have the proper experience and tools to DIY.

Like Alton, I watched the guys from Mattituck build an engine last year at their facility in Long Island. Great day, they treated us all like we were already customers. I'm a machinist and toolmaker, now a CNC programmer & process engineer. As they got started I thought I can do this. But as the day wore on, I was pretty humbled by the knowledge and insight they provided. ALL their parts are dimensionally inspected prior to assembly, and very specific clearances are sought, not just "within spec". By the end of the day I was convinced that the 2-3K engine shops charge was a very real bargain. The difference of "within spec" to obtaining very specfic clearances will show up in engine longevity, all other things being equal.

Like Alton, I watched the guys from Mattituck build an engine last year at their facility in Long Island. Great day, they treated us all like we were already customers. I'm a machinist and toolmaker, now a CNC programmer & process engineer. As they got started I thought I can do this. But as the day wore on, I was pretty humbled by the knowledge and insight they provided. ALL their parts are dimensionally inspected prior to assembly, and very specific clearances are sought, not just "within spec". By the end of the day I was convinced that the 2-3K engine shops charge was a very real bargain. The difference of "within spec" to obtaining very specfic clearances will show up in engine longevity, all other things being equal.

Chappy,
The point you raise about 'tribal knowledge' and other un-documented techniques are what cause me to second guess the idea of building my own. I feel like I am mechanically inclined enough to do it and I can read.
But does anyone know definatively that building by the book (within spec) will yield a less desirable engine or do these 'techniques for assembly' make the motor?

If assembling one of these kit engines is the first time you have done an engine assembly, and it is going into an aircraft that is going to fly. You flat should not be even attempting it. Not only are you putting your own life on the line but many others as well. An aircraft engine is not the place to learn something like assembly of an engine. Just read what the last guys said.

Learning this way is like learning to fly in a supersonic fighter aircraft, or an old war bird with no instructor. Or for that matter learning to fly any aircraft, by reading the instructions only.

I can think of many things that can look and even measure the way its suppose to but can still be wrong. If you don't know what they are your playing with the wrong toys. (Engines)