Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Did you look at the front page of your morning paper this morning? I don't care what city you're in, if it's a major newspaper, I bet it has at least one article talking about how horrible it is to fly on the airlines today, and how you need to be at the airport a minimum of two hours before your flight.

Think about it - in two hours, I can be 400 statute miles away in the RV - and that's before the airline traveler has taken off! And, when I get there, I'll have my knife, liquid toiletries, a few bottles of wine (if I choose), and I could even have a fire-arm or two with me if I so desired.

Louise is going to fly down from D.C in her -6, and while the weather will probably make it Friday rather than Thursday, i really don't care, as we both have a few days off to enjoy. I'd personally rather delay a day due to weather than put up with commercial air travel at this time of year - and today of all days (Black Wednesday!), you couldn't pay me enough to be on a commercial Boeing - in ANY seat....

Yes, the weather can get in the way, especially this time of year, when the atmosphere is "in transition", but hey, a little sanity is worth a wait - and when the weather does reach your personal minimums, you can still beat or match an airline trip of a thousand miles or less (door to door) in your RV.

Yup, I'm pretty thankful that Van started tinkering with sheet metal a few years back...:D

RV or nothing this weekend

Louise is going to fly down from D.C in her -6, and while the weather will probably make it Friday rather than Thursday, i really don't care, as we both have a few days off to enjoy. I'd personally rather delay a day due to weather than put up with commercial air travel at this time of year - and today of all days (Black Wednesday!), you couldn't pay me enough to be on a commercial Boeing - in ANY seat....

Just got home on the Metro train that passes D.C. National airport. Even the Metro ride was a zoo with folks and their luggage. About 8 media vans were lined up out front, ready to report on the pending mess and hardships. Any thoughts of, "I should have gone commercial so I would be with Paul tomorrow...." vanished. It might not be tomorrow, as planned. And, it might be a more challenging flight than the last one. But, equipped with the Garmin 396, it is bound to be far more relaxing and enjoyable than trying to join the chaos of commercial air travel today.

Oh, and I am very thankful for the VAF website and the my wonderful partner that I found through its "matchmaker service". Thanks, Doug. Thanks, Paul.

Thankful for All You Folks

I'm adding this to Paul's thread, and don't really mean to hijack it. I am thankful for the hard work done by Doug and all of the posters, especially including you Paul, for brightening my day almost every day. :) I'm not yet doing anything more than "planning" (a/k/a dreaming), but I derive a tremendous amount of pleasure by being able to log on here and read what everyone has to say.

I hope all of you are able to enjoy this holiday with your families, and a special thanks to those in the military, now or earlier, wherever they may be, who work so hard to keep us free and safe. Keep them in your thoughts this holiday.

Fly safe everyone!

John

Think about it - in two hours, I can be 400 statute miles away in the RV - and that's before the airline traveler has taken off! And, when I get there, I'll have my knife, liquid toiletries, a few bottles of wine (if I choose), and I could even have a fire-arm or two with me if I so desired.

Yup, I'm pretty thankful that Van started tinkering with sheet metal a few years back...:D

Right you are Paul! We should all include Van in our Thanksgiving list.

I flew my RV-8 from Dallas to Wichita (about 400 miles) on Monday for a business trip and returned Tuesday. After waiting until noon to take off from Addison due to marginal VFR most of the morning (I have high personal weather limits), I made it to ICT in 1:40. Thanks to a tailwind I had up to 190 kt ground speed and averaged better than 180 kts. Nice 25 kt gusts for landing in Wichita but the RV had no problem. Returning the next day took 2 hours due to a 20 knot headwind (the Lord giveth and he taketh) plus 21 kts gusting to 30 at takeoff sure made for a short ground roll.

So, I completed a very productive business trip for less cost and in less time than the airlines cover the route. And got to fly my RV at the same time. What more could we ask for?

Happy Thanksgiving all.:)

Chris

security

The crowds and delays are one thing, security is another. I understand in light of the way the world is today that security needed to be ramped up, but it still isn't much fun going through it.

During my trip to DC last weekend I was taken aside twice for random checks, and waited while some guy tested my dirty underwear and shoes for explosives :eek:If nothing else it made some entertainment for my traveling companions who claimed to be suspect of me as well :mad:

I had the same thoughts as Paul when I got home, it will be nice to have my own means of transportation, and not have to put up with that.

Weather

Weather is about the only real disadvantage to flying yourself, especially in the winter. Otherwise the RV is a great time machine.

Last summer, after Oshkosh I was in South Carolina to umpire in the Big League Little League World Series. Another guy was from Sacramento. On the departure day he left the hotel at 4 am to catch his commercial flight. I was airborne at 7 am from a nearby airport in my RV7. (Ten minutes fromthe hotel) I was home 11 hours later with 2 fuel stops. He didn't get home until 11 that night or the equivalent of 2 am from where he left.

My elapsed time 11 hours, his elapsed time to fly commercial 22 hours. If I was flying to Sac it would add roughly 3 hours of time. Not bad for nearly coast to coast. FYI, he was supposed to be home by 4 pm that day, but because of numerous delays their travel was extended.

Gotta love these things.

Airlines Today

I am thankful I do not have to fly the system these days. I am blessed to have my own airplane to go where I want, when I want to go.

In a previous life I was a sail boat delivery capt. I would board American Airlines in Flordia, for the BVIs with my tool bag, auto piolt, cordless drill and life raft, all carry on. Not any more. Those days are gone.

I am thankful for our friends and family we enjoy through this sight.

Happy Thanksgiving