For a long time now I knew I wanted to build an airplane, and soon I will be able to start. I have been researching makes and models for a while, and was pretty much convinced to go with one of those sexy composites... that is until I read a post about their lack of energy absorption in crashes, not to mention tendencies to burn up after said crashes (Read some accident reports to be convinced). I am now decided on an RV thanks to you guys and this forum. I was worried about construction problems and how I would solve them, general advice, and other help if I needed it (inspiration?). You convinced me to go RV, but now I have to decide which one.... sigh....

Thanks a bunch guys!
Ward Johnson

Build a -7! No, wait...build an -8. -8A. Nah, just go for a -4. Find a good deal on a partially built -6A. No, -7. -9A!

dan said:
Build a -7! No, wait...build an -8. -8A. Nah, just go for a -4. Find a good deal on a partially built -6A. No, -7. -9A!

HAHAHA I have read enough of the posts and archives to realize WHICH one is totally based on what I wnat the plane to do although I am leaning towards a -7. But then again four seats would be nice... But then again in an -8 I could just turn off the intercom and not "realize" my girlfriend needed a pitstop. For some reason she has a problem with gatorade bottles - go figure!

I don't like the idea of a "used" kit for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Aside from the tail being a little different (no biggie), the defining moment that turns the -8 into the -7 is a little cut you make on the rear wing spars.

My GF wants the -7, and I built the tail for a -7......I haven't made that little cut yet, though. That can wait :D

RV-7 wing kit wont build an RV-8 wing.

jcoloccia said:
Aside from the tail being a little different (no biggie), the defining moment that turns the -8 into the -7 is a little cut you make on the rear wing spars.

My GF wants the -7, and I built the tail for a -7......I haven't made that little cut yet, though. That can wait :D

This is not entirely correct. It is true that the rear spar and most of the other wing parts in the two wings are the same... The main wing spars are slightly different in the bolt hole pattern for attaching the wing to the fuselage center section.

Right, Ward. And after you've chosen your basic aircraft model, be sure to join the daily wars that will have you choosing sides on:

1. Primer? Yes or No. If so, which one?
2. Tail wheel or nose wheel?
3. Slider or Tip-up?

You poor guy; you don't know yet what's coming. :D