In preparing my recently completed RV-8 for its first flight, I'm planning on initially flying without wheel pants or gearleg fairings. That's consistent with Van's recommendation to add drag during engine break-in.

My question is, what do people do about the upper gearleg fairing? That's the cuff at the intersection with the fuselage, which allegedly can strongly affect stall speed if it's not installed.

Is flying an RV-8 without the cuffs any real concern? What's been the experience of those who have gone before?

In preparing my recently completed RV-8 for its first flight, I'm planning on initially flying without wheel pants or gearleg fairings. That's consistent with Van's recommendation to add drag during engine break-in.

My question is, what do people do about the upper gearleg fairing? That's the cuff at the intersection with the fuselage, which allegedly can strongly affect stall speed if it's not installed.

Is flying an RV-8 without the cuffs any real concern? What's been the experience of those who have gone before?

Be not concerned, I flew over 50 hours without any fairings, it matters not.