N941WR

Legacy Member
In the US the basic requirements are:
1. Flight(s) may be performed by any licensed pilot rated for the aircraft to be flown.
2. Flight area is assigned by the FAA or DAR.
3. Flight test time is usually assigned by the engine prop combination. 25 hours for a certified combination and 40 hours if either the prop or engine are not certified individually or together.
4. No night or IFR flight until after the initial (Phase I) test period is complete.

I understand the test requirements in the USofA but what are the requirements in other countries? (Canada, UK, Germany, South Africa, etc.)

The reason I ask is that I have read of some people stating they have a five (5) hour test period and I believe in the UK all tests have to be performed by a “hired gun”. Is this a military pilot or someone from the UK’s version of the FAA?

Also, once the planes are tested, do they stay in the “experimental” category as they do here or are they placed in the same category as a factory built craft?

For Canada...

Haven't gone through it yet, but based on my research...

1) First 5 hours have to be flown by someone with a minimum of 100 hrs in type. After that, just have to be rated.
2) Flight area limited to 25nm radius. I don't know if there is any flexibility in this and what you'd have to do to modify it.
3) Test period is defined as the time required to work out any squawks, plus 25 hrs. where only normal maintenance and upkeep is required.
4) No night, IFR, or aerobatics. Even after "phase I" is complete, there are steps to go through to have approval for these (with the exception of a few models "pre-approved" for aerobatics... RV's are not on the list).

I'm sure there are more knowledgeable Canadians on the list who would have more answers as to details...

for Norway

As I understand it, these are minimums required by the law.

Normal aircraft 25 h
Motorglider 15 h, min 5 h powered
Glider 10 h
Restored and/or modded aircrafts or old restored aircrafts (previously certified or military) entering the experimental category is tested as required/needed, decided by the aviation authorothy and EAA Norway.

Test pilot(s) must at least have a current PPL. Usually it is the builder.

I think once the aircraft is registered as experimental, there is no way out of that category.

Edit: Have to add that for UL (MTOW 495 kg, for instance Sonex, Zodiacs etc), the requirement is only a test flight preferrably done by an instructor with min 250 h PIC on the actual type.

Last edited:
Haven't gone through it yet, but based on my research...

1) First 5 hours have to be flown by someone with a minimum of 100 hrs in type. After that, just have to be rated.
2) Flight area limited to 25nm radius. I don't know if there is any flexibility in this and what you'd have to do to modify it.
3) Test period is defined as the time required to work out any squawks, plus 25 hrs. where only normal maintenance and upkeep is required.
4) No night, IFR, or aerobatics. Even after "phase I" is complete, there are steps to go through to have approval for these (with the exception of a few models "pre-approved" for aerobatics... RV's are not on the list).

I'm sure there are more knowledgeable Canadians on the list who would have more answers as to details...

1) The rule is 100 hours pilot in command time on all types. There is no requirement for 100 hours time on type. See para 3 D in the Standardised Special Operating Conditions in CAR Standard 507 Appendix D.

The type rating requirements only apply if the aircraft is designated as a high performance aircraft. The definition of high performance was revised in the exemption to CAR 549.01 - see para (40). For aircraft with flaps, the aircraft is considered high performance if the wing loading at max approved weight is greater than 20.4 lb per sq. ft.

2) It is possible to get a different size test area, but the paperwork is a PITA. I was told that you can't apply for a different test area until you have received your Special Certificate of Airworthiness. The exception is if you are in the Vancouver, BC area, where they have recognized the problems created by airspace and mountains, and there are one or two predefined alternate test areas that can be arranged.

4) The aerobatic approval requirements are found in Airworthiness Manual Advisory 549.101A. It offers two possible paths - a one-off evaluation (described in Part A) and a type evaluation (described in Part B). If the type evaluation is completed, it is valid for all aircraft of that design. If the one-off evaluation is done, it is only valid for that specific aircraft. I will look into the possibility of doing a type evaluation for the RV-8 once my aircraft is flying.

The IFR approval essentially consists of getting the aircraft properly equipped, and tested, then submitting a letter stating this, plus a change fee. You will receive a revised Special Certificate of Airworthiness without the VFR-only restriction. See CAR 549.115. Note that the CAR refers to the no longer in force Air Navigation Orders, but it is being interpreted as now referring to the equivalent sections of the CARs.

UK Requirements

1. Flights may be performed by people approved by the PFA (UK homebuilders association, shortly to be come the LAA). Typically you won't get approved unless you have 500 total time and some time on type and are current, but there are exceptions.
2. Flight airfield approved and area is typically within 25nm.
3. Flight time usually 5 hours, depending on the aircraft type. As all homebuilt types have a form of type approval (by the PFA Engineering Department), and all modifications from the approved standard have to be approved also (although the rules for mods are reasonably complex), the risk is seen as low, hence 5 hour requirement (including one flight of at least 2 hours). All engine and prop combinations require approval.
4. No night or IFR ever - and no aerobatics unless explicitly approved, only 4 & 8 so far approved, each individual aircraft has to undergo a specific test programme.

Once aircraft are built and tested they receive a "Permit to Fly" and are never eligible for an airworthiness certificate. Maintenance rules are significantly relaxed compared to certified rules.

Pete