KeithF

I'm New Here
I have had a 760D in a RV4 for the last 8 years and have unacceptable and re-occuring transmit issues :mad: . Good strength but garbled/unreadable. Receiving is great and clear. I Have already checked gnding, changed antenna, headset etc.

This 760D was produced probably in the last year or so of Terra producing these radios when they had to re-cert having moved to a new facility in New Mexico.

Does anyone out there have any similar experiences or leads to contact and what fixes worked.

Thanks in advance,(hoping not to have to buy an new Comm)!
Keith in Canada

Terra Problems

KeithF said:
I have had a 760D in a RV4 for the last 8 years and have unacceptable and re-occuring transmit issues :mad: . Good strength but garbled/unreadable. Receiving is great and clear. I Have already checked gnding, changed antenna, headset etc.

This 760D was produced probably in the last year or so of Terra producing these radios when they had to re-cert having moved to a new facility in New Mexico.
Does anyone out there have any similar experiences or leads to contact and what fixes worked.
Thanks in advance,(hoping not to have to buy an new Comm)!
Keith in Canada

Keith,
Sorry I don't have better news.
In 2002, I went thru what you are doing now. But I purchased a RV-6 with a full IFR stack of Terra radios. Lets just say I was less than pleased with the equipments performance. The Comm radio started going intermittant transmitting and I had to do something. I did the normal things like you have with grounding, headset plugs, cleaning the connections on the back of the units, etc etc.
I contacted the only factory reps I could find:
Free Flight Systems
3700 Interstate 35
Waco, TX 76706
fax 254-662-9452
254-662-0000
My contact was Wayne McGrew--Repair station Supervisor
email: [email protected]

I sent my TX760D in for a repair and was told it needed "remodulation"
317.00 or so later.......it wasn't any better, still intermitent.

I asked a local radio shop about it........they said they put too much stuff in too small a box.....and the modulation can't or won't stay put. You can fix it and fix it and fix it.......but it won't hold.

Now I'm a pilot, not a radio repair guy and I don't like using a handheld radio for primary communications. So I did the next best thing and bought a new radio......and took that as a reason to redesign the entire radio stack and go good VFR instead of poor IFR. I understand that my -6 has way more room than your -4.....but I thought spending more good money on the terra radios was not in my best interest.
I have a good friend with a long-ez that had a TX-760 the original type with thumbwheel numbers.......they bought in 1980....and loved it...
but it too died last year and they, with limited panel space too went with a 2 1/4 " xcom and seem to like it. BTW I went with a SL40 and really love it! Being able to monitor the second frequency is fantastic!!!
Wayne, told me in 2002.......that they stopped servicing the original design in 2000 but they expected to service the digital versions like yours for 5 more years (read 2 more now) or until they run out of parts.
If you want more info, I can fax you copies of my workorders and communications with FreeFlight......
Good Luck,
Bob Martin
RV-6
Louisa, VA

Last edited:
Terra 760D issues

Thanks Bob,

for your detailed answer I was hoping someone would be out there with same issues. I agree I have a friend with the older 760 in an RV4 and it works very well. I will contact Mike and see what he has to say but I am convincing myself a replacement is in order to avoid costs that do not guarantee a fix.

By the way the SL40 you refer to is that the King radio ??

Thanks agin for you insite,
Keith

Terra 760D

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?ident=1138850545-82-75&browse=avionics&product=sl40

or
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/apollosl_series.php

Kieth, The above links should get you started. on the SL40

This one is for the X-com radio, it also has the monitor the standby frequency feature and it is in a 2 1/4 hole box. That might help your space in the panel situation.
http://www.steinair.com/avionics.htm

I was told the original design radio with the thumb wheels worked well, but they crammed everything they needed to go digital into the same size box and caused problems. The digital ones must work somewhat as ours did for a short time and I see lots of them installed in airplanes for sale. Maybe it is once they start failing, there is no real fixing them. or Maybe if I was a radio repair person I could fix it, but I'm not.
all things said.......if it doesn't work its dead weight and I spent 25% of the cost of the new one to be sure I couldn't make it work. Maybe I can save you the 300+ and you can spend it on the new radio that you will be very happy with.
Bob Martin