rvaitor

I had an issue last week where defrost hose rubbed through and shorted against this terminal bar. I didn't build this plane so not sure if this is a normal setup on the wiring. These are positive connections from and between various breakers and the loads. I am not comfortable with these being where other items might rub or contact these.

I am looking for some advice on protecting this area and these terminal connections.

Thanks,

IMG_6607_zpsctelbdst.jpg

2015-05-04%2018.10.10_zpsxeyqb4hp.jpg

This is the type of connection that Van's wiring harness uses. I don't like it much either.

Stein and others sell these. They work much better.

This is a bad idea

Typical Van's cheap way. It works, thousands flying and not falling out of the sky. Is it the best way to do it? Probably not for the reason you cited. There are a lot of planes out there that have wires, cables, scat tubing and all sorts of stuff running in that area that would be best labeled a rats nest. Terminal blocks are made for this purpose. They have barriers to help prevent shorts and stuff from coming into contact with the wiring connections. They are cheap, readily available, and a heck of a lot safer to use. Just one old guy's opinion.

I'm not that far along in the build to see what Van's does. Is that a bus bar, or some kind of non-conductive bar with terminal studs? Either way... I have seen it done, but I would never leave a hot bus bar or terminal strip unprotected. It's crazy to do so and just hope nothing ever touches it. I wouldn't even leave a barrier strip with hot connections exposed. Yeesh.

At the very least it needs a plastic cover of some sort.

Uncovered terminal worries

I have been struggling with this same issue in my build. I just can't bring myself to using an uncovered terminal strip for the wing wires. Why isn't there a terminal strip that has a protective cover over it so there is no chance of shorting it out? Maybe there is and I just haven't found it.

My VP power box has one wire for landing, one for nav, one for strobe. I need to split it to go to each wing and light. My plan is to use one of these:
http://steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=609
or this if more are needed:
http://steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=607
and a 9 pin D-Sub pinned connectors so I can have a positive connection without having a bare terminal. Does that sound like a reasonable method to go with?

Wicks.

If you go to the Wicks catalog you will find Buss or terminal bars that also have insolated covers far them. This is the type we have used in all kinds of places to keep from having this very problem. You place the bar, hook all up to it then put the cover on top to cover everything so nothing can rub on it.
Hope this helps. Yours. R.E.A. III #80888

If you go to the Wicks catalog you will find Buss or terminal bars that also have insolated covers far them. This is the type we have used in all kinds of places to keep from having this very problem. You place the bar, hook all up to it then put the cover on top to cover everything so nothing can rub on it.
Hope this helps. Yours. R.E.A. III #80888

Thanks everyone. I will look into this type of solution. Btw, I had looked at terminal boots or nipples and just didn't feel this was anything but a temporary fix.

I have been struggling with this same issue in my build.........My plan is to use one of these:
http://steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=609
or this if more are needed:
http://steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=607
and a 9 pin D-Sub pinned connectors so I can have a positive connection without having a bare terminal. Does that sound like a reasonable method to go with?

Have you tried putting 18,16,14 AWG wire in a DSub pin? Not going to happen. I don't know which wire size you use but test it on a pin. I could not get 18 to fit cleanly. Maybe you have LEDs and can use 20awg...

Looks like you have power/ground/signal wires (red/black/white) going through a lightening hole with no chafe protection, at the top of the first photo, also. I'd secure those somehow or put chafe protection on them before the edge of the lightening hole wears through the insulation.