Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
If you decide to fly in a race, you will be required to add race numbers to your airplane - typically 18 inches high, 3 inch wide line segments, on both sides and on the bottom. People try vinyl tape, etc. for temporary numbers and it is a mess. They look terrible and at race speeds their adhesion is unreliable. One thing that works very well is Contact Paper. The rolls are 18 inches wide and 24 feet long so you can cut a lot of race numbers of any style out of one roll. It is very thin so it is light and does not get caught in the wind and peel off in flight. After a race it can be removed easily and cleanly. The only solid color I find at my local Wal-Mart is white but on my dark blue airplane this is not a problem. A friend with a yellow RV-6A airplane is entering the Taylor 125 race and the white will not stand out very well but I found that a 1/4" border added with a black Sharpie pen is a good solution for his problem.

Bob Axsom

[img=http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7760/dvc00004uk0.th.jpg]

Last edited:
Blue painters tape did not work well on the one race I entered. I think I had a speck of tape remaining from under the wing when I landed.