Peter.Fruehling

Well Known Member
I am going to be flying a friends RV-6 in a few weeks and would like to use my Garmin 396.

How have any of you TEMPORARILY mounted a GPS unit for flight with out drilling any holes? Suction cup mounts? Some tyoe of clamp mount from RAM?

Any ideas or PICTURES from all you brainiacs out there would be great!!!

Thanks! - Peter

Suction cup on the passenger side windshield...

.....works great, plus my wife enjoys using it and we tilt it so that I can read it too. There's also a power plug in on that side. Lately, I've mounted a plate on the pilot side longeron, just ahead of the roll bar.

Regards,

I am going to be flying a friends RV-6 in a few weeks and would like to use my Garmin 396.

How have any of you TEMPORARILY mounted a GPS unit for flight with out drilling any holes? Suction cup mounts? Some tyoe of clamp mount from RAM?

Any ideas or PICTURES from all you brainiacs out there would be great!!!

Thanks! - Peter

Well, I cannot speak to the RV-6, but for my Magellen GPS unit, about six years ago I made a mount using wood, aluminum, and brass screws (all non-magnetic materials) then I use velcro or rubber bands to hold it into place.

Since then I have used it in eight different planes, and it is still working fine.

However, I have seen other people use suction cup mounts with great success as well.