gpiney

Well Known Member
I am just getting to the point where I will need to make up 2 'placeholders' for the center section. I have a friend with a planer who can get me pieces exactly 1-7/16" thick. My question is: What material should I use? The manual says to use hardwood or particle board. I figure these pieces will be in there for well over a year, so I would want to use something that won't give me problems later.

Thanks in Advance

You know, with matched-hole tooling growing and prepunched skins and all, I tend to think this step is a throwback to an earlier time. Keep in mind, I'm building a 7A, but I found very little reason to do this -- even though I did -- since everything was lined up via the prepunched holes anyway.

However, I didn't know that at the time so I figured I had to make a perfect temporary spar...right down to the 32nd. I used a couple of pieces of MDF and when I was just a little bit shy of the mark, and no scraps of anything about... I spotted a case of Leiningkugel's Honeyweiss beer in the corner of the shop. I figured, "why not?" So I cut out the bottom, sandwiched it between the two pieces of MDF, clamped and glued it. Perfect.

So I think the best advice I can give is use whatever you can find around the shop. But drink the beer first.

If you're building a matched hole (-1 on the part numbers) kit, you won't need those spacers in too long at all. Only till you rivet the F804 section to the floors. I planed two pieces of cherry to +/- .010, but it's not necessary. Let's face it, the thickness is going to change slightly with humidity anyway (about 10% at the extremes).

I used to be a furniture maker, so I had the planer and the scrap cherry. MDF or particle board would work as well and be more dimensionally stable.

Guy

3/4 inch pipe

Cut the correct length, bolted in place using spar bolts. Simple, easy, cheap.