flickroll

Well Known Member
I made the decision to use rattle can self etching primer on my RV8 project. I started using NAPA 7220 primer and like it, however at close to 10 bucks a can that will be an expensive way to go. I have found a Tempo A880 self etch primer in gray that is under 5 bucks a can. I'm thinking about making the switch however would like input from anyone who has used the Tempo project. Thanks

Jim Shannon

I didn't care for the Tempo, it scratched off pretty easily even after time. If you go to your local Sherwin Williams and buy the 988 SE grey primer by the case you can usually pay about $7.00 a can that way.

Unfortunately ~ $9.50 is what the local NAPA store is charging. Won't even offer a discount if I buy a case at a time. I wish I had a SW Industrial store close by...

JIm

Perspective....

Hey Jim,

I am just like you - I go shopping for a can of primer or something, and if I can save a buck a can, that's great! However.....unless you are going for a record low total airplane cost (stole an engine off a truck, got an abandoned kit, looted a buddy's airframe for instruments, etc...), you are going to be spending quite a few (ten's) of thousands on the plane before it is finished. I think I used no more than a dozen rattle cans on my QB, so even if I paid $5.00 more per can than I could, I "wasted" $60....a drop in the bucket for the whole project. Use what you like that works the best for you, and don't sweat the small differences.

You're still saving a bunch over buying a spray gun....;)

Well...I suppose that's one way of looking at it but NOT for me :) (Mr. Cheapskate I guess). For me 60 bucks is 60 bucks and will get me ~15 gallons of gas for my car. A few bucks here and there over the course of your project and you can save a LOT of money.

Back to the subject....I've tried numerous rattle can self etching primers and have done side by side comparisons with a handful of them. I always use the Duplicolor self etch primer that is readily available at your local Autozone or Advanced Auto for about $4.98 per can. Comes in a real nice olive drab that you'll grow to love. Good price and it stays where you put it.

Search Doug's archives and you'll see plenty of posts on the stuff.

Good Luck!

Hey Jim,

I am just like you - I go shopping for a can of primer or something, and if I can save a buck a can, that's great! However.....unless you are going for a record low total airplane cost (stole an engine off a truck, got an abandoned kit, looted a buddy's airframe for instruments, etc...), you are going to be spending quite a few (ten's) of thousands on the plane before it is finished. I think I used no more than a dozen rattle cans on my QB, so even if I paid $5.00 more per can than I could, I "wasted" $60....a drop in the bucket for the whole project. Use what you like that works the best for you, and don't sweat the small differences.

You're still saving a bunch over buying a spray gun....;)

Primer

I am using "Dupli-Color" self etching. Now then, after what I thought was a reasonable amount of time -24+ hours or so, I noticed it scratched off rather easily. Wasn't this supposed to "ETCH" into the Alum.? I took a scrap piece and cleaned with acetone, and then cleaned with soap & water on one half the sheet, thinking I would compare results. 24hrs later I was still able to scratch it off with my finger nail. I threw it on my bench and spent the rest of the evening watching TV. A couple of days later, was showing a fellow builder how poorly it adhered and guess what? Hard as a rock!

I guess you just have to give it more time than 24 hrs to do it's job.:)