RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I need some info from anyone already flying their RV-8(A). I am wondering how hot the forward baggage area gets considering it is by the upper firewall and it is closed of from the fresh air of the main cabin. I know no one would have an exact temperature but does a candy bar melt if left there, do you find your deodorant has liquefied after a long flight.

I am thinking it would not get tow hot inflight since most of the heat goes out the bottom of the cowl but I know some get heat from the lower firewall where the exhaust runs through.

If anyone has flown with a remote temperature probe up there even better.

Cheers

Never put a probe in there Nemo, but it sometimes is a little hotter than ambient. I carry my spare oil there so it is warm enough to pour into the engine if required - it helps a little.

Never melted anything that wouldn't have melted in the cockpit (it gets hot in Texas).

Cooling fan

Thanks for the info. I am considering putting and equipment cooling fan up there and just running the hoses to the avionics. It is a nice size robust fan (certified) but there is just no room behind the panel. I figure 90 percent of the time that compartment is empty, the cooling fan mounted to the aft wall of the baggage area is a perfect spot.

I am told by avionics guys that the 430W and transponder don't need cooling but they have a longer life span if they get cooling. The fan has 3 ports, one will go to the above instrument and the last will just flow over everything.

Holes on the dash will allow warm air to escape up and act to defrost the windscreen.

Cheers

Mike, it's only my opinion but I think that you don't need another electric motor to keep avionics cold. The fan is another source of heat ;), you need more wires, another CB ... I'll prefer to keep it light and simple where is possible.
Cold winter temperature here in norther Italy but never had the canopy frosted.

Two cents

Nemo - I installed a brushless DC fan attached to the aft face of the aft bulkhead of the fwd baggage area. It turns on when the battery master is on. No ducting though, it is aimed at my radio/xpdr stack and used to create some circulation behind the panel. .4A total. It doubles as a reminder to shut-off the battery as it can be heard whirring away...

I conducted a very scientific test of the fwd baggage area temperature during this holiday by transporting six bags of Godiva Chocolate all over Florida. All chocolate arrived intact...

but it sometimes is a little hotter than ambient. I carry my spare oil there so it is warm enough to pour into the engine if required - it helps a little.
Never melted anything that wouldn't have melted in the cockpit (it gets hot in Texas).

Pretty much this.

I've made two trips from Texas (very hot in late July) to Airventure in Oshkosh and back home in an RV-8 with various food and beverage items in the front baggage area and it didn't get any hotter than if it was in the rear baggage compartment. Brought a dozen ears of Iowa sweet corn back with me on the return trip after stopping there to visit a friend, but I flew back at 10,500 where it was nice and cool outside. When I landed back home in Texas, it was about 108 degrees at the surface, but the bag full of fresh corn was still cool :cool:

We have our battery mounted at the bottom of the "7" shaped forward baggage compartment and made an aluminum cover plate that's just held in place by velcro. This reduces the capacity of the forward baggage area a bit, but give it a nice constant flat floor across the width of the fuselage. In the lower compartment along with the battery, is enough room to keep a couple quarts of oil, some tools and a roll of paper towels. I've never really noticed anything coming out of there to get excessively warm either.