Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I'm working on my rudder gust lock, and fabbed up a prototype with the PVC pipes and parts as seen in several posts here...looks like it'll work, but I'd like to make something more elegant, so a buddy and I are working up a simple design using aluminum tubing. BUT, I'd like it to telescope mid-length so as to easily install and remove it without "forcing" anything (like the stick or the rudder pedals :) ).

I'm having trouble locating what I think would work...I need a lock for telescoping tubing, but one that doesn't rotate the tube itself, something like the knurled knobs here:

viewimage.php

Anybody have any suggestions or possible sources for this? All I can find are huuuuuuge volume sales for industrial stuff...

TIA!

Steve

I made my gust lock from pvc as you describe, and used an extendable pole for paint rollers. Available from Lowes and Home Depot. It has a push button release, rather than a twist release. Think I borrowed the idea from someone on VAF.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I have an extendable garden rake that has one of those twist lock things. I thought something like that would be good for the rear stick on the -8, but like you, I've been unable to locate one. What I DO see a lot of is the bicycle seat post clamps. They come in many sizes and colors, and are pretty inexpensive.