RVadmirer

Well Known Member
Is this thread tape used anywhere around the engine? I am troubleshooting oil temp issues and have pulled some hose fittings. When cleaning the threads I noticed some sort of goo on them and also squeezed out of the ones not removed. I thought about teflon and then realized it may not hold up to the heat? What do you use, if anything?
Thanks all.
DV

I was told never use Teflon tape anywhere near the fuel system or oil system. Shards of it can ruin your engine, and your day. What you may be seeing is Teflon paste?

I agree

Teflon paste can be found in the aviation department of Home depot and works great.

Avoid using tape, it will hold up well but the previous admonishment stands

Frank

Thank you

Thanks Frank, hadn't seen that deaprtment before....will have to look harder. Say Geico that's quite a motor you've got there! What all brought the HP up the that great number?

RVadmirer said:
Say Geico that's quite a motor you've got there! What all brought the HP up the that great number?
I can't take credit for the build, I bought it that way. The motor was a new 0-360 sent to Lycon. It dynoed out at 220HP @ 2750 RPM. :eek:

Van's had a heart attack. ;)

Geico266 said:
Shards of it can ruin your engine, and your day.
The problem with Teflon tape is in its proper application. If it's put on a fitting leaving the first few threads bare, it will will work just fine. The problem arises when it is applied too near or on the end of the mating surfaces and small pieces tear off that tend to get caught in fuel valves, orifices, carburetor jets and and anything else that could get plugged up. It can also hold open N/C solenoid air valves in a control system. It's a simple thing to apply it right but its just as simple to screw it up if your not careful. I made a lot of money in my job removing little gobs of the stuff from many types of equipment. Also the FAA has come to the same conclusion and I know there's a FAR forbidding its use in the solid tape form although they do allow the liquid type.
Tom
RV-6A N822PM (res)