Fuel lube

Hey all,

How do you recommend sealing blue aluminum flare fittings for air hoses? It looks like Mouser has used teflon tape here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mouser-nerdbot/14242885009

is that the right thing to do, or is there some other recommended method?

If memory serves, they are NPT thread. Use a sealant like Fuel Lube/Titeseal.
Keep teflon away from the airplane.

BTW, nice to see another Colorado builder.
We have a small e-mail group of local builders. If you wohld like, send me a PM with you e-mail and I will include you in the group.

No teflon tape, or other sealer on flare fittings. IF the fittings are not damaged from overtightening, they will seal.
Tom

No teflon tape, or other sealer on flare fittings. IF the fittings are not damaged from overtightening, they will seal.
Tom

Hey Tom,

That's good to know. What about the fitting above that converts the NPT into quick-disconnect? I know that I want to keep Teflon away from fuel lines, but does it matter here on the air fitting? (Sounds like yes, just curious about why.)

Stray Teflon fragments can stop up any system whether it be fuel, hydraulic, air, etc.

Stray Teflon fragments can stop up any system whether it be fuel, hydraulic, air, etc.

Yes, and that includes gas water heaters, gas ranges, gas F/A heaters etc,etc. Not good to use in home gas piping.

On the NPT threads in the quick disconnects, use a sealer. I stay away from teflon tape, but do use teflon paste. There are a BUNCH of different sealers on the market for this purpose.
Tom