videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
I certainly hope this isn't premature...

For about three years I have been trying to get a group of kids to build a -12. Last year I had a buyer (willing to buy the kit up-front) and thought I had all the details worked out, only to have the school drop the program for lack of room. An excuse, I know...

I got a call recently from another school wanting to set up a program outside school hours. I have talked to some of the kids and the teacher and this looks good. I have donated five Van's practice kits and loaned my tools. They are buying more tools (I certainly don't have enough for a group build) and will be meeting for the first time next week. I am encouraged. I will be working with the group and it will take some time to work with the practice kits and see just how good this group can be. Then I hope to find someone wanting a 12 and willing to wait for a year to 18 months. We will also be looking for local sponsorship as another possibility.

This will be here in SE Indiana. I would like to hear from anyone interested in working with the group, or anyone interested in the end product. I may spring for the emp/tail cone kit if things don't fall in place as quickly as needed. Yes, I have talked to Van's and they will discount. Tool donations would be nice, if you have things you don't need.

Anyone out there been a part of anything like this? Am I really in over my head? I believe this is THE way to promote aviation as we know it and certainly don't want to screw this up. These kids are SHARP and part of an advanced engineering class. The 12 will be a piece of cake.

Bob Kelly

Bob, hang onto my name on this and when the time comes, I will dig around my shop and see if I have anything to donate that you need, or throw you a little cash. Great idea, Glenn

Hi Bob,

I am doing exactly that here in Hong Kong, a -8. If all goes well and the local authority approves it, it should be the first registers in Hong Kong. I believe the same, Bob, the project will not only promote aviation, it builds characters.

We have a group of 20 9-10th grader working on the project, they're sharp but no engineering background. We have been building for 1.5 years now, up to the fuel tank at the moment.

I don't have much luck with donation, partly because I am not very good at asking for it, it takes lots of extra time to prepare proposals, doing presentation and speech (Which I failed twice in University); but I really want to build one so I am paying for it, hoping by the time it's done, I can manage to convince the HK civil aviation department that homebuilt is safe and let it fly in HK. If not, I would need to ship it back to the U.S. and get its airworthy cert. The minimum goal is to get the aircraft airborne to show them they've successfully built a real aircraft, and once phase I, take them flying on their own work.

The school paid for the extra tools requires and bought some practice kits, I end up spending another $1000 extra. If I am allow to use that money again, I wouldn't buy too many extra tools, especially the expensive ones, since there is ALWAYS deburring to do, or other task while the others are dimpling with the C-Frame or squeezing those rivets.

It's a lot of work and a HUGE effort working with the school, the local authority, and get the workshop set up for the group, but it's definitely worth doing. The kids loves it, they want to come everyday.

Let me know if there is anything I can help! Good luck!
Hank

Last edited:
I follow the blog about the 12 build in Oregon. That is a real encouragement! I'll bet they will be flying before the school year is out, which will be pretty amazing. I also have talked with the Build-a-Plane folks.

Bob Kelly

sounds like a great idea, count us in

what kind of tools are needed for the 12? You don't need a DRDT-2 do you?