PerfTech

Well Known Member
... I went up to Johnson creek this past weekend for the Carbon Cub / Super Cub fly-in and made a few observations of RVs (Mine included) landing in the grass. I wanted to share this with the A model guys as a point of reference. I see in posts and hear others talking about landing and nose gear issues with A models as being "All Landing Technique". Some stating or insinuating that anyone having a problem is deserving of it due to their lack of piloting skills. Johnson creek has without a doubt one of the most finely groomed and meticulously maintained runways anywhere in the country. The surface is glass smooth, free of holes, ruts, trenched Etc. It feels like very plush long shag carpet and is even pleasant to walk on. We observed something that doesn't seem to be discussed here and feel should be. This grass offers up an unbelievable amount of drag to the mains when landing (even more when wet). It was so great that instant application of full up elevator at touchdown would not maintain or lift off the nose wheel, thus allowing one to perform a textbook soft field landing. The nose wheel was planted very solid on roll out and the roll out was very very short as well. This in conjunction with a pot hole or depression in the ground surface could produce forces capable of doing gear leg damage, especially with all stock gear components. I tried it in my RV-9A with a very aft CG and the results were exactly the same as observed with others. I think sometimes this is overlooked and blame in attributed to a lack of skill when that is not the case. I believe some of these incidents would take place regardless of who was at the controls, even myself for instance.:rolleyes: Don't get discouraged if this has happened to you as it really doesn't necessarily reflect on your skills. Thanks, Allan...:D

Last edited: