Votes: 11 31.4%
  • A & P with IA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 24 68.6%

• Total voters

jdcoleman73

I'm New Here
Just wanted to get a few thoughts from everyone. I am slow building an 7A and I have an A&P with IA to look over my work when I get far enough along. I know some use the EAA Technical Counselors to do the same. Do any of you have any opinions on which they prefer or both.

When I start my build, I'm going to have as many eyes on it as possible. Evaluate each concern separately. If it has merit, who cares where it came from.

Every eye you can get on it is a good one. Even the untrained eye can find things for discussion.

Once you find a real problem that needs discussed or resolved, you're the tie breaker between all the resources you can find. A&P/IA, Tech Counselor, Manufacturer, and peer builders.

But I'm of the opinion that any critical eye is worth taking advantage of.

Phil

I know some IA's that couldn't drive a rivet if it were to save their soul. I even know a few that I wouldn't let work on anything that flies and tell people to steer clear. Last year I worked on a Champ that had a fuel hose literally made from braided line you would use for a washing machine (not kidding.) And it passed annual for years. There are plenty of RV builders around that know aircraft construction much better than do many mechanics. Not to say there aren't any good A&P/IA's around. There are.

Last edited:
Regardless of their "qualifications" find someone you trust that know's RV's. I have met a lot of "marginal" AP/IA's, and some very good ones.
As others mentioned, more eyes the better.
Mine was "inspected" by several Van's employee's, a Tech Counselor, DAR, AP/AI, prior builders, and probably another dozen or so people through various stages of the build.
One advantage of being in the "Home Wing" area.

We had an A&P, and an IA, and a Tech Counselor, another dozen or so people through various stages of the build inspect our 9A.

Phase one squawks:
Adjust one line routing...

Nothing beats and extensive review process to eliminate issues before flight.

The fancy titles and letters mean next to nothing. Get someone who has built an RV or two, and you have a much better source of knowledge. Many with the titles have never seen a homebuilt.

Maintenance vs manufactue

Each profession has something a little different to bring to the table, as each individual will have a different skill set and knowledge base. Building has it's own issues different from maintenance. More different kinds of eyes is something to take advantage of. Although my job description is to maintain an entire aircraft, there are times when as a lead I get the right guy for the job. A really good mechanic, builder, or owner will recognize something unfamiliar and call in more brain power.

Get someone who has built an RV or two, and you have a much better source of knowledge.

This.

Nothing beats direct hands-on experience with the RV's. Our local airport community has built half a dozen RVs over the past 12 years I've been hanging out there, and every one built has been gone over with a fine-tooth comb by at least different ten sets of eyes before it ever flew.

Find a good IA

...someone who you would take your standard category aircraft to. Along with everyone else looking things over - it could be helpful when the DAR shows up (I think it was in my inspection).

The fancy titles and letters mean next to nothing. Get someone who has built an RV or two, and you have a much better source of knowledge. Many with the titles have never seen a homebuilt.

Yea but I've also seen some multiple RV builders that "aren't so hot" either :eek:

I'm happy to see that most folks do both. Also, I'm happy to see that when they don't, most folks choose the Technical Counselor.
I have seen too many cases where the ability to fix an aircraft that was built certified by an aircraft manufacturer doesn't translate to an experimental aircraft that is under construction or even when it is completed. Many A&P/IAs can't make that jump. (sorry, but think that that is the way it is. Additionally there are those that shouldn't even be working on cars let alone aircraft:eek:)

Yea but I've also seen some multiple RV builders that "aren't so hot" either :eek:
We bought our kit from an "experienced RV6 builder" and spent 4-6 months fixing bozos mistakes...:( Happy that we saved enough to pay for the engine though.

Food for though, after having been there: While there are many good deals on quality partially finished kits, beware if you're saving enough to buy most of the engine. In fact .... just beware if you are not buying a partial kit that is not a quick build from vans! (did I type that out loud - naughty me);)
Dare I say it (hope it isn't out of line or too off topic); Some people are just too stupid to build airplanes... Thankfully you won't find them here...

The fancy titles and letters mean next to nothing. ...
This is very accurate. We have seen a number cases where people with fancy titles and letters I would trust 1mm. So, the folks that had fancy titles and letters that we had look our aircraft over were ones that we had seen a significant amount of knowledge that was verifiable and demonstrated. Interestingly, the have also become close friends.

Last edited:
Get anyone who will look at your airplane to check it out. RV builders of the same airframe will probably have a good sense of what is right or wrong with the airframe, but an A&P or IA who works on a bunch of Cessnas and Pipers would be a great resource for a firewall foreward inspection.

Get anyone who will look at your airplane to check it out. RV builders of the same airframe will probably have a good sense of what is right or wrong with the airframe, but an A&P or IA who works on a bunch of Cessnas and Pipers would be a great resource for a firewall foreward inspection.
Like I said before ... maybe or maybe not...
Verify and then CONSIDER trusting.
As many have said ... titles and letters don't necessarily mean much:eek:

IA's, A&P's, TC's, FA's....the local builder neighbor, his wife, Engineers....heck, the inspector I have had find the most tiny yet important things had no titles - she comes along with our DAR! Get eyes on the project, and answer every comment and question with something - either a "wow, I missed that!" or "no, that was intentional, and this is why..."

RV builders are great, but get someone who has built something else for a fresh look at things - sometimes, we can ALL get stuck in a familiarity rut....

Paul

building - designing

I have been in construction my whole life. About as bad as it can get is when you get a set of plans from an architect that has never had a hammer in his hands. I have built many homes designed by people who have built homes. There is no question on what one comes in on budget and better.