Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
Just an observation - occassionally some really good tech data appears in these threads then the threads disappear. I think the message is if something shows up this way, one needs to copy and save it locally when first observed. I will start my own VAF folder I think and collect some of these gems until I get a chance to use them.

Bob Axsom

Bob - are you sure that the threads are going away? I only ask because I have frequently gotten null results on a search when I KNEW the topic was there...and it turned out I didn't set the "how far back" parameters correctly.

Then again, maybe Doug does some gardening to keep size within reason - I don't know...

Paul

You are right

I was looking fot the Constant Speed vs. Controllable Pitch thread in the Propeller section. The section only had 4 threads displayed and it said below that 1 through 4 of 4 were being displayed. However, using the clue from your post I told the system by entries below the table of threads that I wanted to look back an extended period and many more threads including the one of interest showed up. Thanks, it was not apparent to me that there was a data structure maintained beyond the currently displayed threads. Still, it was a wake up call for me that if I think something is important I should take the action to record it for myself. It would be nice if a whole thread could be recorded - I will have to explore that.

Bob Axsom

Same experience but the threads are always there

Bob try less words like just

constant speed
controllable pitch
fixed pitch
controllable
constant
fixed
pitch
prop
propeller​

I put in "controllable pitch" and got the thread.

If you put in "Constant speed vs. Controllable Pitch" you would not get it because the thread was:

"Constant Speed Prop vs. Controllable Pitch ". The extra abbreviated word "prop" makes it a non match.

Even if you left off the "." in vs. it would change it and make it a non match.

If the less word method gives you too many hits because its not unique enough, you can search just under your user name if you recall you contributed to it. The user name filter is under advanced options.

Some times I use the wrong word. Dang computers have to be so exact. Eventually it shows up with enough hunting and pecking. Merry Christmas.

G

PS: NOTAM please clear all airspace the Eve of Dec 25 for Santa and his crew of Reindeer. :D

rdeer3.gif

Last edited:
CS vs FP threads..data search...

Example would be a recent thread re Sensenich FP prop, best pitch for a given airplane, etc., that morphed somewhat into FP vs CS prop. I know I put a couple comments on there since I've had both FP and now CS on my RV-6. So, just did a search for "CS Prop" and got more hits on apparently unrelated threads than I have time to read. Perhaps the advanced search would narrow it down a little more, even by poster if you can remember who's flying what, etc.?

google

You can even do a search from google on the internet level and it will pull up Vans Airforce forum posts as well as other sites that include the subject. What a cool tool this internet is aye. Merry Christmas Y'all.

sportpilot said:
You can even do a search from google on the internet level and it will pull up Vans Airforce forum posts as well as other sites that include the subject. What a cool tool this internet is aye. Merry Christmas Y'all.

Yep! Al Gore did a good thing when he invented the internet.