rfchisholm

As I merrily move into the early stages of my fuselage kit ... I'm beginning to wonder at which stage in my build should I get another set of eyes to look over my handiwork.

Is it required that I get someone to audit my progress, or can I simply work my way through the kit?

I just had an inspection by an EAA tech advisor before closing the skins on my wings. Here is what I understand of the process:
- The advisor provides a free, non binding consultation that testifies about the workmanship of the parts inspected.
- Following the inspection, the advisor writes a report which is filed with the EAA. You can use this report later when you sell your aircraft just as a way to satisfy the concerns of a buyer who cannot inspect some areas that are no more accessible.
- There is no requirement from FAA for such inspections

IMHO the interest of the inspection is to establish a relationship with an EAA member of your community who has demonstrated expertise in building airplanes and quality of workmanship. In addition to the inspection process you will get valuable advice for the work done as well as upcoming.

As mentioned, there is no requirement for an inspection. However, having people look over your work and doing so often is a good idea. I worked through much of my build alone but things went much better (and with more confidence) when I moved to the hangar and suddenly had many sets of eyes on the project. I was a bit shy about my work at first but now I invite all and sundry to look in. TCs do write reports submitted to the EAA but they need not be the sole source of your guidance. Other builders can have useful insight, even if they are building something different. A&Ps are also helpful; who better to advise about aircraft construction and repair methods?

Getting connected to people to help can be fairly easy; for me all it took was moving to the airport. But I could have done it sooner if I had known - in Flagstaff there is a good aviation community. There are a group of pilots who meet regularly for lunch and fly somewhere for breakfast nearly each Sunday. Many are members of the local EAA chapter. Once I started hanging out with them, I got plenty of interested onlookers. If a local IA dropped in to check out my project, it was due to interest and no charge to be but invariably I could talk out problems and get suggestions, just like I could with any of the other visitors. Heck, I even got my BFR current and one of the locals (AZTAILWIND on this forum) took me up in his -6A to get me proficient and also did my initial test flights.

So my suggestions is to root out the local aviation community NOW. It's never too soon and you can't get too much. This gives you more resources than simply inspection; you can draw on them for help when you need a second set of hands as well as the training I mentioned above. The final key is to make yourself available. Helping others is great practice for your own project and seeing how others approach problems may give you ideas for your own build. Some people eschew the interruptions because they take away from your building time but I think the general quality and richness they give to the project is worth it, not to mention the inspiration when things bog down, as they inevitably do.

I couldn't agree more with Flions comments. I built my 12 in my hanger. Although I had been there 8 years, I didn't know that many pilots. Within 4 months I had met dozens of people. Everyone wanted to know what it was, any many offered opinions. A pattern developed. The first time they saw the hanger open they just glanced in. The second time they drove by they slowed and looked. next time they stopped and wanted to see what was going on. get to know your local tech counselor and EAA members. many may have a solution for that problem you have, or just the right tool.