I have seen a pre-release of the performers for the 40th celebration of Van's Aircraft st Airventure 2012

I did NOT see Team RV on the list. Are they invited? does anyone have the news on this?

Team RV was observed at an air show this fall, and they have been recommended to the Safety Team, but I don't know if they have been approved yet. I'm hoping so!:cool:

Last edited:
Yeah, especially this year!

Does every act need to be approved by a Safety Team? Has it always been that way? :confused:

For participants that are not exhibition or showcase, but are acts in the actual air show, there is a very stringent set of safety criteria that must be met. Team RV has to meet those criteria just like everyone else.

They certainly fit the bill for culture and entertainment. :cool:

As the lead EAA liaison for RV activities for the show next summer, I am really pulling for them to meet the approvals.

Oh, yes I agree that's a good idea.

I think EAA should do the same thing for Showcase participants to avoid things like the Bonanza "formation" atrocity last year. I wasn't the only one who gasped in horror on the flightline as they tried to trade paint. :eek:

Sorry for stirring the pot, just sayin'... ;)

I've been on a warbird crew for the OSH airshow, and have flown with the TeamRV guys and can say that if there is even a miniscule amount of doubt about they being able to safely perform then the people picking the performers are seriously screwed up (I'm not saying what I really want to say.) Trust me, they are leaps and bounds above some of the people who have performed in the airshows. If TeamRV isn't to perform this year than please join me in raising the biggest stink we could bring on.

If TeamRV isn't to perform this year than please join me in raising the biggest stink we could bring on.

Stink Bombs loaded, Bob! I hope we don't have to use them. Is this what the Strategic Air Command felt like all those years? ;)

Chad, "Team RV has to meet those criteria just like everyone else."

Explain this statement, I've seen them at air shows. The FAA allows them to fly
In front of people elsewhere, is Airventure " SPECIAL"

They have a great schedule of shows on their site, and they have great references as well, and to answer your question simply, yes.

The AirVenture Safety Team has their own set of criteria for this show only.

Hi everyone,

I don't generally become involved in threads that have stink bombs loaded, but because this thread is linked to AirVenture opening day activities and our community efforts to honor Van, and because what we say here may adversely affect that effort, I'm in. I would only suggest that we hold off loading the stink bombs until we've at least had some discussion with Team RV and gained a bit of perspective and facts from their side. I do agree that Team RV demonstrates the highest level of professionalism I've seen in ANY air show performance group and that their absence at AirVenture would be quite disappointing, but let's get some facts from the horse's mouth before we possibly say something we wish we hadn't. Just sayin'

Have a great day!

Last edited:
I have to agree with Ernie - we neeed to gather some facts (like are they or they not still under consideration for OSH 2012?) before sharpening th pitchforks and oiling the torches....

I have it on good authority from EAA and Team RV that they are definitely still being considered. I'm not directly involved with the air show part of it, but there will be a meeting or two after the holidays from what I hear.

After watching the Bonanza formation flight fiasco last year I am surprised to hear the EAA even screens the acts.

Having said that, I will be extraordinary POed if Team RV does not perform at OSH.

Last edited:
I'm in with Ernie and Paul on this.

Team RV has an impeccable safety record, they have an immeasurably positive impact on the aviation and non-aviation public through their airshows. I think most of us know that.

There is no reason to think that they won't perform if the performing acts are chosen based on appropriate judgement. It seems the only possibility for them not being chosen would be because of some outside influence that doesn't meet that criteria.

It would seem that process should then come under scrutiny and we, the members, can take actions which we feel is appropriate. It is not that complicated to make such a judgement.

I'm not sure how this question started to spin so quickly, IHMO.

Sorry...

The bomb comment was an attempt at humor, feeble as it may be. An expression of concern. I think many of us have very high hopes & anticipation for the RV1 dedication and 40th anniversary. We know how inspiring it will be with all the RVs on the ground AND Team RV overhead...A grand example of what EAAers can accomplish!! If Team RV doesn't perform this year, Van's celebration will be like a wedding with no bridesmaids. It will be incomplete.

Good luck in your efforts Chad, now you know how your members feel about the subject. ;)

What Kahunu and the guys do at their show now is way over the top compared the 35 ship fly by that they did a couple years ago @ Oshkosh so you are not comparing apples to apples. I expect EAA to come to their senses and beg them to be there. Team Aeroshell is old hat so bring on Team RV and the fun to watch stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Morgan:)

After watching the Bonanza formation flight fiasco last year I am surprised to hear the EAA even screens the acts.

Having said that, I will be extraordinary POed if Team RV does not perform at OSH.

The Bonanza thing was a fiasco...but it wasn't an act or part of the airshow. Just a mass arrival/fly by...just a clarification. ;)

VAF'ers,
On behalf of Team RV allow me to clear up a few things.
First, your support of Team RV is very special to all of us and it means more to us than you will ever know.

The large formations at Osh are not Team RV. They are RV'ers from around the country. These have been led by Stu McCurdy of Round Rock Texas. We have participated in them as RV pilots. Members of these flights can be found in these archives. You can look at videos and pictures of those flights and see the professionalism and discipline of those. Put them up against any other large formations done anywhere, they will speak for themselves for eternity.

Team RV is a flight of 12 RV's, performing at venues mostly east of the Mississippi. 2012 is our 10th year anniversary year performing at air shows. Our goal is to provide the best formation air show act in the business. We want to set the bar in safety, discipline, character, and professionalism. We routinely have our act critiqued by professionals in the business for safety and entertainment value. We are very transparent. We never settle. This year, virtually every venue director we flew at told us we were the best act they had ever seen. We use these show directors as litmus tests for how we are doing, how we can improve for them. Its not just about the flying. Its the entire program which includes our interaction on the ground with media, sponsors, kids, crowd, FAA, air bosses and so on.

We have not been selected to fly in the air show at Osh. We have been told that we are "under review." The Osh decision team was at the ICAS convention in Vegas a couple of weeks ago, as was Team RV(we have a booth there), and as far as we can tell, most if not all of the performers selected for Osh 2012 have been told they have been selected to perform in the air show. It is normal course of business that performers are selected at or before the ICAS convention in Vegas in the first week of December, so that they can prepare and plan their season accordingly. As the weeks go by past the ICAS convention, and into 2012, it become far less likely that we will be offered a position. A huge amount of work goes into planning to make Osh, both on EAA's end in marketing and logistics, and on ours.

Osh has their own team of reviewers and selection process, and rightfully so. All venues have a process.

We DO NOT want to be selected because of Vans 40th. We are either worthy of being offered a spot in the largest air show in the world, or not. We let our performance, character, and professionalism speak for itself. Van's 40th is special, but it should not be a criteria for the selection of our team.

Im happy to answer any questions here that I can. We love you guys and gals. We want to be the best representation of RV'ers, VAF'ers, and pilots that we can be.

Well Kahuna you guys must not be as "safe" as getting a jet truck billowing smoke and letting a couple of biplanes fly thru that unpredictably must be. We all know how that ended. I honestly was never more turned off by an OSH airshow act than that one.

Well Kahuna you guys must not be as "safe" as getting a jet truck billowing smoke and letting a couple of biplanes fly thru that unpredictably must be. We all know how that ended. I honestly was never more turned off by an OSH airshow act than that one.

That act, which I think you are referring to Masters of Disaster here (and those similar), is exactly what has caused EAA to take a step back and take a hard look at safety procedures before approving acts.

Thanks Kahuna... if the day comes when it's apparent that Team RV is not going to perform at OSH this year, please let us know so we can flood the EAA mail boxes.

I have not been able to find the new 2012 performer list. Last year's preliminary list didn't come out until January 5th so I'm still hoping. Anyone have a link to the new list?

Thanks Kahuna... if the day comes when it's apparent that Team RV is not going to perform at OSH this year, please let us know so we can flood the EAA mail boxes.

I don't know about "politics" of a large RV show, but isn't it likely that Team RV would be part of something similar to that of the 35th anniversary? I would assume that they need more than 40 aircraft with exemplary pilots.

On that Bonanza video towards the end the planes were all over. Was that turbulence? At one point I was expecting a mid-air.

On that Bonanza video towards the end the planes were all over. Was that turbulence? At one point I was expecting a mid-air.

Maybe someone with formation training can provide a more complete answer. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks...anyone rememebr the AOPA thread a few months ago, with all that bashing of RV's goign on over there?

Let's be better over here, OK?!

AirVenture 12 RV Day

While I wish TeamRV well in securing an airshow slot, you should know that we will again do an RV Large Formation at AirVenture 12, a 40-ship to honor Van on his 40th anniversary of being at Oshkosh. We will again fly it overhead as we have in the past in the Figure 8 pattern changing the shape on each pass. Members of the formation will be coming from the various RV teams from around the country.

Maybe someone with formation training can provide a more complete answer :eek:

As the pilot flying the camera ship for that video, and a RV builder and pilot, it really pains me to read that. All 20 of the pilots in that video are FFI carded pilots, many checked out by Stu himself. I won't take up any more of your expert time to explain what went wrong on that last pass, because it appears you already have your mind made up. :(

Fly safe and blue skies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't take up any more of your expert time to explain what went wrong on that last pass, because it appears you already have your mind made up.

Humor me in explaining what is happening. I also see one plane drop below. Was that planned or a normal escape maneuver for safety?

VAF'ers,
We want to be the best representation of RV'ers, VAF'ers, and pilots that we can be.

Mission accomplished. This thread has had an somewhat negative tone. Your comments are well written, very professional and much appreciated. I hope to see your show someday.

Mission accomplished. This thread has had an somewhat negative tone. Your comments are well written, very professional and much appreciated. I hope to see your show someday.

That day should come soon Robert. We will be just 70 miles north of you at the St. Joseph Air Show May 5-6. Please come out and come say hello to us. Love you meet you there.

Bonanza Video

I had no intention of opening up a bashing can of worms by posting that video. Everybody screws up, period. If you can't learn/teach from your mistakes, stay on the ground. The exact same thing could happen to anybody, any time for any number of reasons. If there is an overriding reason for the formation "falling apart" at the end, I'd love to hear about it and put a piece of the experience in my brain for future reference.

I'm sorry to all for contributing to the negative nature of this thread. I let my frustration with EAA override my better judgment.

I'm sorry to all for contributing to the negative nature of this thread. I let my frustration with EAA override my better judgment.

Katie, I think that was a classy apology. The VAF community is so great because people like you are honorable and humble both in our triumphs and our moments of shortcoming. I hope I'm as graceful in my time as you were today.

--
Stephen

For those that haven't seen it, there's a pretty good follow-on (and positive-vibed) discussion on that OSH Bonanza formation video in this thread.

Just to bring some of that positive vibe over here, as I mentioned in that thread, I've flown in a number of mixed formations with Bo's, and we've had FFI Bonanza Leads and Check pilots participate in our West Coast formation clinics. They have played key roles as instructors and safety pilots, and have even given checkrides to some of our RV FFI card candidates (while riding in RVs).

My experience flying with Bo's and Bo pilots has been overwhelmingly positive. The picture is different, and they have a different set of challenges in formation (as Pooner said), but they can be a heckuva solid platform to fly off, and they look purty dern good in formation when flown well too!

As for Team RV at OSH...man, I sure hope they get selected too! Van's 40th would seem the perfect time to get them in the lineup...fingers are crossed! All the posts I've ever seen from Team RV members on this topic have been utterly professional...they continue to set the bar in all aspects for RV (and other) Formation Demonstration Teams. I'll bet we can support them best by continuing to ask the EAA to sign 'em up and saying how happy that would make thousands and thousands of us...versus sayng how pissed we'll be if they don't get in the show...just sayin' (and not trying to sound preachy!).

Good luck guys!

Looking forward to 40 RVs overhead OSH too! :D

Cheers,
Bob