Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
SO when we purchased our untouched original F1 QB ROcket kit from Vince Frazier last December, he held back the internal structural parts (spars and ribs) for the tail surfaces becasue our kit was #29 and had the orginal “Mk 1” tail. Vince and Mark Frederick have now gone through Mk2 and Mk3…and as Mark said “We don’t want your tail to fall off”….and neither did I! Vince promised he was setting up his new fabrication facility and woudl have the parts to me as soon as he coudl get up and running. With plenty to keep me busy I had no problem building the tail last instead of first, and he updated me occasionally on teh trials and tribulations of setting up new (and expensive) manufacturing machines. He thought he might have the parts at Osh, but I told him I coudln’t bring them home from there anyway - and he was still working on perfecting the process, with “piles of aluminum scrap” to show for their development efforts.

Well today I received a beautifully packaged set of parts - and as beautiful as te packaging was, te parts are even better - they are teh equal of anything I have received from Van’s in the past. And we’re not just talking a spar and rib or two - this is essentially a complete kit minus the skins (which he already sent with the original kit - they are still the same thickness)…which measn lots of parts he had to set up dies and presses for.

Bottom line - for those wondering about the availability of Rocket parts, Vince is turning out high quality parts and delivering them - its a real business, not just a “hobby shop”. Now to go build a jig to make this tail straight and true……

Paul

53208644-83BA-48CF-83B2-8C075C962569.jpeg

Out of curiosity, what are the changes to the internal ribs and spars and structure to make the tail stronger? Just in case I want to make something similar for my RV8 in the future. Thanks.

Out of curiosity, what are the changes to the internal ribs and spars and structure to make the tail stronger? Just in case I want to make something similar for my RV8 in the future. Thanks.
Basically thicker material (if I understand correctly).