MSFT-1

Well Known Member
I have about 110 hours on my RV-10 now. On a hot day in southern Virginia it can get down right sauna-like on the ground with the doors shut. I have taken to taxiing with the doors open. I do close them before I do my mag check.

Anyone have thoughts or comments on this practice? The RV-10 doors are hinged on the top (unlike the Cirrus for example) so I know there is some side loading on the hinges if I taxi with them open, but I am interested in other peoples opinions of doing it.

Thanks,

Doors Open

I also taxi with the doors ajar in hot weather. I limit
the opening to 2-3 inches however to avoid the risk
of a gust pulling the door fully open and possibly
damaging it. I have pull-down straps on my doors
that I can loop over my outboard wrist to keep the
door in check. I always latch the door fully for
run-up.

Dan Benua
RV-10 N755SB
62 hrs.

Taxing with doors open

I will taxi with the doors open about 2-3 inches. I typically will start the engine with the doors closed, put my headset on and open it up and hold it open a few inches. You get 90% of the effect that way. I just don't trust those hinges and feel that after time they will fatigue and fail. I have seen many people do it though.

Just like Dan mentioned, I would be fearful of blast from another plane or a big gust of wind that might crack the fiberglass. I almost lost my doors in Houston one day when I pulled up to a hanger (just for a second) and left my doors open and an Apache came taxing right by me. Luckily there were other pilots around that were closer to my plane, ran over and held them closed for me. That saved me a bunch of money and time.

I've had some bad experiences to with my rudder being blown around, shearing my rudder stops and cosmetically damaging parts of the skins. The RV-10 is a great plane but it is no Cirrus when it comes to it's robustness.
There have been multiple accounts of the rudder stops shearing. I would replace the rivets with screws on the stops if you have your rudder off sometime.

When I pull in to stop, even for a second, I put my rudder lock in, put my seatbelt around the stick, and close my doors.

That is probably more than you asked for, but my point is that Van did not build a plane to maximize structural strength but one that is very efficient, light, and high useful load. Most people come from other 4-place planes like Cherokee's, 182's, and Cirrus's and it is very obvious that the RV-10 is not built as "rent-friendly" as the before mentioned.

Last edited:
re: friendly

Scott,
I really enjoy reading your responses to other people's threads or replys. You never bash someone else's comments or suggestions, just offer up your own, letting others know what has worked for you. I wish there were more folks like you on here.:)
Anyway, I couldn't just leave this alone.
I'm sure I'll run into you at OSh, I'll be there all week checking out all the
RV10s.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 cabin top/fuse
N781DM

PS Paul Dye is another good one.;)

Scott,

I'm sure I'll run into you at OSh, I'll be there all week checking out all the
RV10s.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 cabin top/fuse
N781DM

Great, looking forward to it. I will be flying in Thursday (before Oshkosh). Thursday is a holiday for Utah (July 24th, Pioneer Day) so we figured we might as well get out there and do some flying on Friday and Saturday back in that part of the country. We may run over to Mackinaw Island for one day.

I'll be there until at least Thursday or Friday. Make sure you make time to come by the RV-10 camping section as well. Not sure where it will be but we will know around Friday of this week and I'll post it on this forum.

Great, looking forward to it. I will be flying in Thursday (before Oshkosh). Thursday is a holiday for Utah (July 24th, Pioneer Day) so we figured we might as well get out there and do some flying on Friday and Saturday back in that part of the country. We may run over to Mackinaw Island for one day.

I'll be there until at least Thursday or Friday. Make sure you make time to come by the RV-10 camping section as well. Not sure where it will be but we will know around Friday of this week and I'll post it on this forum.

I'll leave OKC Thursday afternoon, the 24th, in the pickup & 5th wheel. Will be in OSH Friday afternoon, then be ther all week, till Saturday.

Marshall