smokenjoe50

I have an RV 12 I plan to sell. Can I register it in another state like Oregon to avoid California sales tax? I was told I need to register it before I can get it certified and I need to certify it to sell it.

Texas

Texas has no sales tax on airplanes. On the other hand you would probably need to demonstrate residency in the state that you registered it unless you formed a corporation and that is too complex for me.

California needs the revenue!:D It is usually a great idea to keep it simple and honest.

If I were to go to a purchase and find that someone was in a grey zone on the finantial end I would probably wonder what they might not be telling me about the plane that I would need to know.

I have a resell licence for my business (not related) that keeps me from paying California sales tax when I resell. Is there a way to do a plane like that?

It's not really your problem

I have an RV 12 I plan to sell. Can I register it in another state like Oregon to avoid California sales tax? I was told I need to register it before I can get it certified and I need to certify it to sell it.

In California the sales (or use tax on a used vehicle) is paid by the purchaser, not the seller, unless you are in the business of selling airplanes. Also, if you sell it out of state and the buyer takes delivery out of state, that is, the airplane is shipped or you deliver it to the buyer, there is no tax owed.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I know the buyer will pay sales tax but I would like to certify the plane before I offer it for sale. I have been told I can't certify it unless its registered. If I register it in my name California is going to come after me for sales tax.