elippse

Well Known Member
Jim Smith has been doing some TAS testing of his -6 with the new wingtips. When he was doing the testing with his new prop a couple of years ago I recommended that he do two-way GPS runs using forecast winds and temperatures aloft. The reason I made this recommendation is that with testing of my aircraft I've always found that the forecast winds and temps, at least in my region, were very accurate, whereas I've found that most OAT installations on planes I've tested give erroneous temperatures which throw off density altitude calculations, and thus give IAS and TAS errors.
I've also noted in writings in the past that you can have a direct crosswind of 20 mph on a 200 mph plane and it will only give a 1 mph error, which is well within most people's ability to fly the two opposite runs without an autopilot, altitude hold, and no convective activity. So if you are at least within 30* of the wind direction, your error will be almost imperceptible, even with strong winds.
So Jim, for his flights at 4000', 6000', 8000' and 10,000' did something I had recommended in the past if you didn't have forecast winds, fly 360* turns and note the highest and lowest GPS groundspeeds along with the headings where these occurred. He did these and noted that his determination of the wind speed and direction from this was very close to those forecast, which were in excess of 20 mph. He also noted that when you come around to the headings where the wind is on the nose or tail, that you will go through 40* to 60* where the groundspeed hardly varies, which verifies what I had noted earlier, that if you are even close to pointing into or with the wind on two-way GPS runs that your overall error is minimal.
I won't yet divulge the speed increase he has seen with these tips until he has performed enough testing to get very good averages which he feels he can stand behind, but they have been even better than the 4 mph I had predicted, and not only that, but the increase has even been below 5000' dalt, which I didn't think would occur.
I'm starting to think that these tips, along with the expected reduction in induced drag, have somehow reduced the overall parasite drag, either through a flatter body angle, i.e. less nose-up attitude, a better Oswald efficiency factor for the tips, or a combination of both. This has been very exciting for both of us!

Accurate TAS

Actually there have been strong cases made for a three-way run to verify an accurate TAS. Four-way, no-way. lol

Photos of Jim's plane appeared in both Sport Aviation and Kitplanes in this past year, as well as on the forum several months ago. What has really caught our attention is that the speed is higher at lower altitude where I thought that the parasite drag from the additional 6 sq ft of wing area would outweigh the lower induced drag at lower density altitude and higher speed. Jim has been very careful in his testing, and so far his numbers have been reasonably consistent. Unfortunately, southern Kansas with its varied plowed and green fields, tends to spawn convective activity which can corrupt speed runs. I depend on a bubble level in my plane to check for these in my testing.
Whether you use two-way, three-way, four way or multi-way, if the air isn't stable, or you can't fly the plane at a constant altitude with no little ups or downs, no amount of number crunching will make the info more correct: GIGO
The latest data I got from him showed a two-way GPS average of 198.9 mph at 4020' dalt, 2769 rpm, and 192.2 mph, 11,534' dalt, 2675 rpm, which is not too shabby for a stock 150 HP O-320 on auto gas.
'Sorry that I'm not up to putting pix on the forum yet.

...with four runs at the cardinal compass headings - no correction for drift.

http://www.reacomp.com/true_airspeed/index.html

All wind components are removed and a TAS calculated.

Just record four numbers in flight and it takes 30 seconds on your computer back on the ground.

Hi, Gil! The point I've tried to make the point with two-way testing is that even if you're within 30* of the actual wind and the wind is no more than 20% of your aircraft's TAS, the error from the wind is a maximum of 0.5% of your TAS.
When you do any speed run without benefit of an altitude hold, your error just from trying to keep the plane from climbing or diving even just a little is going to be more than this unless you are really on top of it. When you do a two-way GPS run, even with approximate winds, you know immediately what your TAS is from groundspeed without having to wait until you are on the ground and get out your computer. In the same time it takes you to do a four-way run you can do two two-way runs and will have two independent sets of data for comparison to see if the results are consistent. This will also let you know that if you do see variability that maybe you are not holding the plane steady enough, or you are encountering wind variability or convective activity.
But this thread is not about TAS testing but the speed increase Jim is getting from his wing extensions. 'Pretty impressive, no?