prkaye

Well Known Member
For the tie-down bar on the -9, we have to tap it. The plans say "tap 3/8x16x1 deep". The tap that I picked up is labelled as "3/8-16 NC". Is this suitable?

That'sthe correct one. Remember, quarter turn forward,half turn back to break the chip. Kerosene is a good lubricant for hand tapping aluminum. Starting the tap straight is the most important part.

prkaye said:
For the tie-down bar on the -9, we have to tap it. The plans say "tap 3/8x16x1 deep". The tap that I picked up is labelled as "3/8-16 NC". Is this suitable?
Probably. The 3/8-16 is a coarse thread and the NC is the indicator that that is so.
You just need to make sure you tap deep enough to get complete threads for a full inch. The depth that the tap goes in will be more than one inch and to what extent depends on whether it is a starting tap (tapered more than the others), a plug tap or bottoming tap. All will have the correct threadform but where on the tap the full threads start will vary.

-mike

When I tapped mine, I removed the tap often and cleaned debris out about every other turn or more. Lots of cutting oil and blow it out with air. I have not tapped much AL and found it trickier than steel. I actually broke a tap off in one and had to reorder. I needed to remove the tank, as this was a QB, and I broke the tap in one of the wing hold downs.

In retrospect, I would remove them from the wing of a QB for tapping. It can get really messy.

Roberta

A word of caution about tapping aluminum; Never use lubricants made for steel. They will cause aluminum to gaul and break the tap. Use only lubricants specifically made for aluminum.

You may also want to make sure that the hole is the correct "Tap Drill" size for a 3/8-16 which is 5/16. I actually did this last night and the holes were somewhat undersize.

todays news

We just did that same thing today. The plans show 3/8-16 UNC which stands for Universal National Coarse I think. Cleve and I went to our local machine shop and had the tap done by a professional machinest. His charge was less than the cost of a tap drill. That was soooo easy. :eek:

captainron said:
I think I would go straight to Heli-Coil, for a permanent stainless-steel threaded part.
I dont know about the -9, but the tie down extrusions for the -8 are too thin to helicoil. It possabley could be done, but would leave very little material on the sides.