AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
At OSH a few years back I spoke with a gentleman there with his -12 who had used tape to seal the wing root like the glider guys do rather than the rubber seals. If the wings are removed infrequently, I can't see a down side. It would save me a lot of time with the Vixen file opening the gap up to 3/16th in order to accommodate the rubber seal. Thoughts?

Jerre

For what its worth...

I decided not to install the rubber along the wing root and have been flying my RV12 for years with no issues.
There is about a 1/8" gap all the way around the wing root.
I have flown other RV12s and I can't tell any difference in wind, noise, speed, etc.

I put rubber channel on the edge of the wing skin. Still looks great after 7 years. You can get it from Aircraft Spruce. The cross section is a U with about 1/2? wide and a 1/16? center gap.

I used rubber C-channel from McMaster on mine. Had to trim it some on the top to accommodate the wing rib, but it works fine. If we ever re-paint I may install foam instead.

I too have not installed the wing root seal. Flying for a year now. If I am ever looking for something to do then maybe I will but......I am retired and have way to much to do. Keep flying!

Lasts about a month of constant flying then the adhesive gets a little tired.
You might try using 3M Primer 94 on the substrate. You apply it, let it dry, then stick on your tape. 3M says:
Promotes adhesion to polyethylene, polypropylene, ABS, PET/PBT blends and other on difficult to stick to substrates
Commonly used for increasing adhesion of film and vinyl graphics in automotive detailing
I used Primer 94 on the ends of my vinyl graphics to keep them from lifting in the air flow.