Wow... Dan are you using a poly system or Epoxy? 12 minutes with this system and it would barely be at the tack stage but thanks for the reference. I used Imron on my last plane (about 12 years ago) and thought I removed tape after a couple of hours but I don't remember...

Thx!

Ken

Reverse mask

Mask up to within 1/8 inch of the desire line and then lay out the final mask line on top. This piece of tape (since its on top) can then be pulled just a few minutes after spraying without disturbing all of the other masking.

Lets the line flow right out to a smooth edge.

As soon as it tacks up & stays in place. And pull the tape edge towards the fresh paint. Leaving tape on too long creates a bridge between the paint and tape. Dan's 12 minutes is in the ball park. One half hour would probably be okay too. You'll know after one paint session. I'd usually be spraying new coats at 10 -15 minute intervals , as that's the time for the paint to tack.

In my case, I'd have to get up at 5:00 AM for paint sessions because the summer days were too hot, and the paint would flash at 80 degrees. By the time I had finished and cleaned up an hour later, all tape would have been removed.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Tape lines

Another trick is to have the last piece of tape be the edge of the paint line, so when it comes off you are leaving the masking paper in place and not risking to drag it across you paint job. Don't ask how I know.
Andrew
RV-9 preveiw
A&P I.A.