billpilot1

Maybe this has already been discussed, I don't know. At Oshkosh this year I saw one RV that had every seam covered with a light blue translucent tape. Is this a speed thing? Does it work, and how well. Where do you get this tape, or what else can you use? I did notice another plane that has some on it. It was covering the gap at the hinge bolts on the elevator. That made sense, there is quite a gap there.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Bill
RV7a Flying!
Monroe, WI:)

My take on it was that the tape was to prevent rain from getting into the airframe. It was a similar material that I use for infection control in my office to cover things like light handles etc. It clings ok, but is very easy to remove.

If I was looking at the same plane you were, it was one of the airventure cup racers looking for any knot gain he could.

Gap Sealing Tips

When air flows through gaps in the structure, it causes interference drag. Taping up the gaps is an easy way to reduce this form of drag. Depending on the contours, you may have the best luck with a stretchy tape, like electrical tape.

Wings: A lot of interference drag is caused by the control surface hinge lines. Sailplane pilots seal these with internal fabric seals and external mylar strips. You may be able to do the same on RV tail surfaces... however, the frise-style ailerons require the draggy gap for proper handling.

Fuselage: When racing sailplanes, I use a shop vac to pressurize the fuselage by blowing air through the air vent. I crawl around the fuselage with a candle or stethoscope to detect where air is escaping and seal those areas up. I also make sure the air has a clear exhaust vent in the tail cone. Also make sure your doors seal tight.

Here is a good source for tape, mylar and other gap sealing products: http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/

Wing/Fuselage: In flight, high pressure air from the cabin tends to leak into the wings and spill out through gaps in the wings. You can install fabric boots around the pushrods and help seal up the wingroot.

Bill,

I didn't see the RV with blue tape, but I was one of the AVC racers, and many of us tape up for the race. One of the more common tapes is 3M 471 tape, which comes in a few colors (I use 2" red or clear) and is thin and stretchy, but fairly strong, so you can stretch it around curved areas pretty well. There is also an entire array of tapes and gap seals available at Wings and Wheels (http://wingsandwheels.com/page28.http://wingsandwheels.com/page28.htm). They have products born in the sailplane world, including Mylar seals, turbulator tape, and a variety of gap seals and tapes. I tried a basic system of theirs on my elevator and rudder, but it came off in each test, except for the lower gap on my elevator (which I did leave on). So in addition to that, I just use 471 on various gaps (elevator hinge gaps, tail fairing, wheel pants and intersection fairings, etc.). Mark F (F1 Boss here) used some nice 1" clear tape on several gaps this race. Not sure what tape it was...meant to ask him...or mooch some from him! He beat me by four seconds...maybe it was the tape. ;)

not sure how much gain, if any, I get from the tape, as it was the first speed mod I tried, and my testing methods have improved since then. I may take off all the tape and do a better with/without test after I've done a little more tweaking. My guess it's one of those incremental things that is almost immeasurable, but when combined with various small mods (like the tailwheel fairing, tank drain fairings and other little tweaks) may add up to a knot here or there...maybe even four seconds over 376 NM! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Well

The Redbull Race planes all use it and Tom Martin uses it and he won the rocket class at airventure...so...must do something.

Even if it doesnt, it looks cool.:D Seems like a good reason to me.

Speed, I want Speed

Gaps seals, I used to have them on my Arrow and they made quite a difference and I sure would like to try them on my -4 so I can get ahead of my buddy's RV-4..( Just a friendly competition ):D

Do you guys know which model ( size of Mylar seals...they look to be the best ) are required to seal all the gaps on an RV-4??

Sure will be nice to get this thing as fast as it can go without inceasing the HP..

Cheers

Bruno
[email protected]

The Plane With Blue Tape

Tom Moore RV-7A Race 21 always uses blue tape on the joints and seams of his airplane. He beat me by 6 seconds over 376 nm in this years Airventure Cup race. First time racer Doug Shoup used tape on his RV-4 Race 96 - especially noticeable on the cowl to fuselage joint. His O-360 powered RV-4 was just 2 kts slower than my untaped RV-6A that I have been modifying for speed for 5-6 years. John Huft RV-8 Race 18 uses it similar to Bob Mills RV-Super 6 Race 43 and he is usually around 25 mph faster than me (he does have a cleaned up IO-360 and he now races in the RV Gold class, bless him). I have heard of control issues when people have altered the aerodynamics of the controls designed in by Van (something more than just covering the fastener access holes). As Bob Mills said, I also have had tape experiments blow off in flight. I made up metal cover plates to cover the rudder and elevator fastener access holes and that seems to work well.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
The Redbull Race planes all use it and Tom Martin uses it and he won the rocket class at airventure...so...must do something.

Even if it doesnt, it looks cool.:D Seems like a good reason to me.

Tom's airplane is built for speed from the wheels up. I once asked him if his inlets were stock (they looked narrow, raked and cool). His reply, "Bob, nothing is stock on this airplane!" Since he beat Mark, Wayne and I by 18 knots in the AVC (and that's a typical margin of victory for him), I believe what he said! His tape is one of those incremental mods I mentioned...not sure how much speed he credits to it...but it actually does look cool (white tape on camo gray in his case).

Gaps seals, I used to have them on my Arrow and they made quite a difference and I sure would like to try them on my -4 so I can get ahead of my buddy's RV-4..( Just a friendly competition ):D

Do you guys know which model ( size of Mylar seals...they look to be the best ) are required to seal all the gaps on an RV-4??

Sure will be nice to get this thing as fast as it can go without inceasing the HP..

Cheers

Bruno
[email protected]

Just to put an exclamation point on the earlier post that said not to tape any aileron gaps...that's what I was told as well, going into this mod. The word is that some have tried and had real controllabilty issues. I don't think I've heard that its caused a crash, but some very sporting rides, close calls and the need to change a few soiled flight suits. So aileron taping is a no-no, per my mentors and others I've talked to. Caveat: I don't claim to be an expert, but I listened to this warning from the pros!

Bruno, W&W sells a variety of mylar widths. I was trying out the 2" wide mylar, held in place with the recommended double sided tape beneath, and the recommended teflon and plastic tape layers holding it down. I have some 1" mylar as well, but it did not bridge the gaps sufficiently to allow the control surface to move to full throw without getting caught when movement was reversed. I did not use any of the s-channel stuff under the mylar, nor have I tried any of the turbulator tape (I saw a little of it on an SX-300 racer this year). The only place the mylar held was beneath the elevator. Rudder let go first and elevator top let go after. I had a chase plane watching one test hop, and it just shredded and left. It wasn't a cheap experiment, but I learned a bit. I still have the mylar under the lower elevator gap, but it wasn't worth the effort anywhere else...and I haven't seen much of it on other SARL racers (if any).

Biggest lesson: KISS. Tape works well on joints, seams, protrusions, etc. In addition to the areas I mentioned in my first post, I taped my wingtip light lens seams and a few other seams at AVC. Hard to get a head to head comparison of other races, as I ran this one at 15.5K...but the airplane ran great!

Another lesson: I need to work on my intersection fairings to tighten them up to the fuselage and gear legs better. Taping the large gaps I have in some spots there results in shredded tape in places.

A little strategic taping may help by being an additive to other speed mods you undertake. Its easy too. But there is a lot of clean-up on most airframes that is pretty low-hanging fruit, and that will probably make a bigger difference in parasite drag. But a little tape is an easy start...and folks think you're a serious racer when they see you taping up, so perhaps it provides a psycological edge too! ;) :rolleyes:

Tom Moore RV-7A Race 21 always uses blue tape on the joints and seams of his airplane. He beat me by 6 seconds over 376 nm in this years Airventure Cup race. First time racer Doug Shoup used tape on his RV-4 Race 96 - especially noticeable on the cowl to fuselage joint. His O-360 powered RV-4 was just 2 kts slower than my untaped RV-6A that I have been modifying for speed for 5-6 years. John Huft RV-8 Race 18 uses it similar to Bob Mills RV-Super 6 Race 43 and he is usually around 25 mph faster than me (he does have a cleaned up IO-360 and he now races in the RV Gold class, bless him). I have heard of control issues when people have altered the aerodynamics of the controls designed in by Van (something more than just covering the fastener access holes). As Bob Mills said, I also have had tape experiments blow off in flight. I made up metal cover plates to cover the rudder and elevator fastener access holes and that seems to work well.

Bob Axsom

Bob's metal hinge gap covers are pretty neat, and surely hold up better than tape...might even block more air than the flexible tape in those big gaps. I tried trimmed mylar there too, and couldn't get it to hold satisfactorily. Tom and John, both very experienced racers, seem to have used a very simple taping scheme (that KISS program again!), but have many underlying mods hidden in the hearts of their beasts!

And this is just one guy's perspective...lot's of YMMV and FWIW wiggle room in there!

For those interested in this stuff, think about coming to a SARL race and joining in, or even just watching. Take a look at some of the planes and talk to the gang...all very friendly and willing to chat. Warning...it can be addictive! (OK, blatant SARL pitch complete! :D)

Cheers,
Bob

Speed mode

Hi Bob
Thanks a lot for the explanations, greatly appreciated.

When I wrote ''gaps seals'' I didn't mean like the Lamifar Flow types I had on the Arrow,( The RV wing is clean enough (at least for me ) that I don't plan and won't now for sure use them with this info.
I was thinking more about plugging the holes where the controls attached,they're not that big but every little bit counts..
I saw a source where I could get fuel vents and drains covers but can't remember where, anyone knows of a good source for some of those?

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]