RV8R999

Well Known Member
I'd like to mount some "stuff" to the roll bar and/or seat back support. Has anyone had any luck drilling and tap'n for screws? If so, what size worked for you? I'm concerned the wall thickness may be too thin. Any other good methods for using screws into these structures?

Thanks

Ken

Plate nuts. Easier to do on the seat brace if the aircraft is completed; you'd have to disassemble the roll bar otherwise. But if you're still building, then that's the way to go.

since you cant get inside the tube you're suggesting riveting the platenut on the outside of the tube with hole large enough to seat the platenut barrel? Never thought of that..hmmm I think on it.

....Has anyone had any luck drilling and tap'n for screws? If so, what size worked for you? I'm concerned the wall thickness may be too thin. Any other good methods for using screws into these structures?....
Ken,

Your question seems to suggest you have not yet worked to install the canopy 'glass. That glass is partially attached to the rollbar with screws and using a tap is a routine part of the process. I suggest you review the canopy drawing to glean a keener insight into what may be required.

wkiddj.jpg

since you cant get inside the tube you're suggesting riveting the platenut on the outside of the tube with hole large enough to seat the platenut barrel? Never thought of that..hmmm I think on it.

Whoop, my bad. I didn't see the model designation in the thread - I thought we were talking about the constructed roll bar in a side-by-side model. Actually, your take on my plate nut suggestion is intriguing. But, depending on the characteristics of what you want to attach, a welded or composite approach might be better. If the item needs a flat attachment point, you can weld a plate, repaint or powdercoat, drill and tap. For the composite approach, drill a hold and then fill with something like structural hysol, making sure to get enough in to fill the tube behind the hole. Once set, drill and tap. What either method will do to the strength of your roll bar is an engineer's SWAG (Scientific Wild A-- Guess).

Oh ok...didn't know that. If I follow the plans sequence I'm actually at the point of installing the canopy but I've decided to wait and do that as the very last thing I do. It will be late spring/summer by then and I'll not have to worry about cold temps. I'll read those instructions now for the methods needed. Thanks!

Ken