nbachert

Well Known Member
Patron
While trying to tap my roll bar for the wind screen I snapped the tip of tap off. Approx 1/4 inside and almost nothing sticking up to grab onto. The plans called to drill a #36 and then tap a 6/32. I did that and was going slow because its a tight fit for the tap. I made it about half way through the roll bar when it snapped. Any ideas about how to extract it? I know there are metal fragments already rattling around in it from the drilling but would this be to big to have in there if i had to push it through? Thanks

Nick

A Walton Tap extractor will probably work. I've had good luck with them in the past. They are a little pricey for one tap removal. Maybe you can borrow one.

Weld a nut onto the tap, place the nut, a little larger dia than the tap, start at the center while welding in a circle getting penetration into the tap first, then the nut, when you have weld material at the top of the nut, immediately apply bee wax while hot and remove.

Grind it!

When it happened to me, I was lucky enough to be working with a company that had a tool and die worker that had all kinds of small bits. He came out and slowly ground the tap away until it fell into the roll bar. The threads were still good enough to use after he was done.

Last edited: