riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
Searching the threads, I couldn't find if anyone built their tanks before assembling the wing frame and skins.

I have a vague feeling that I read something about it here but since memory is a faculty that forgets...

Reading the instructions and plans, I think it's ok to do so, am I wrong?

My concern is that the sealant I received in November has a 04/13 expiry date.

I don't want to stress with that date, and I estimate that if I continue with the wings, I'll be left with about one month only to do the tanks.

I average about 40 hours of work per month, did 40 or so on the wings and am about ready to prime and rivet the left ribs to the spars. (Right ribs just need to be drilled/deburred/primed). I guestimate I'll be finished the frames and skins by mid/end Febuary only leaving March 'cause I'll be away for work in April...

I don't want any time pressures... We all know where that leads!!! :eek:

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks

Thanks Bruce!!!

I'll leave the wings then and jump ahead to the tanks and get them done...

Cheers

I'm not sure of the process if you build the tanks before the wings. You could certainly build most of the tanks before the wings. By the instructions you have to adjust the Z bracket locations on the baffle to adjust the fit with the leading edge section. Once the baffle is installed and sealed the adjustment has been made. There may be other ways of doing this, but by following the Vans instructions I don't see it.

snipped

My concern is that the sealant I received in November has a 04/13 expiry date.

I don't want to stress with that date, and I estimate that if I continue with the wings, I'll be left with about one month only to do the tanks.
snipped

No need to stress. Just store your ProSeal in the refrigerator. If you have a wife/girl friend, best to store it in your beer or hanger refrigerator. You do have a beer fridge, don't you?? Otherwise, I might have to report you to the Senate Committee on Un-American Activities! :D
You can triple the shelf life of ProSeal and paint products by doing this.
Charlie

Thanks chaskuss for the tip!!

As for a fridge, I don't really have the luxury of space for one in my shop...
But average temps in there when I'm not working is between 8 - 10?C :eek:
IMG_0916.jpg

Could my shop then be considered a giant fridge most of the time so that I don't get reported to the Senate Committee on Un-American Activities ?? :D

cheers!!