Lynnb

Well Known Member
I'm working the tanks and in the process of scuffing the rib lines on the inside of the skins before I start dimpling. Should I also be scuffing the holes on the top side of the skin so the pro-seal will adhere?

Thanks,
Lynn

I'm working the tanks and in the process of scuffing the rib lines on the inside of the skins before I start dimpling. Should I also be scuffing the holes on the top side of the skin so the pro-seal will adhere?

Thanks,
Lynn

I would strongly recommend to scuff and sterilize all surfaces where pro-seal applies. Put more goo on those rivet lines don't go in savings mode here. You will thank me later :)

Thanks Vlad, but in your picture is doesn't look like the tops are scuffed much. Do you just scuff the hole or do you say screw it, I'm going to paint this thing one day and scuff the whole area? Not to worry, I'm not trying to save any proseal trees with my tanks.

Scuff skins

I assume that's why Vlad posted the photo. Rivets are leaking.
I didn't scuff the outside but did clean everything including rivets with MEK. No leaks. Looking back, I probably would scuff the outside if doing again. I just didn't remember at the time. Like you said, painter will scuff it anyway and it won't hurt.

Lynn, I scuffed mine along the rivet lines before dimpling -- inside and out. It looks funny now but it'll eventually be painted over. I did everything I could to ensure those tanks are sealed -- including using tank dimple dies and using a toothpick to thoroughly coat each rivet hole (and dimple) before riveting, in addition to encapsulating each set rivet on the inside. My tank rivets ended up sitting very slightly proud, but I think she'll fly. The tanks passed the pressure test. Hope they stay leak free!

I assume that's why Vlad posted the photo. Rivets are leaking.
I didn't scuff the outside but did clean everything including rivets with MEK. No leaks. Looking back, I probably would scuff the outside if doing again. I just didn't remember at the time. Like you said, painter will scuff it anyway and it won't hurt.

That show's my lack of knowledge, I didn't realize that was a picture of leaking rivet heads.

Since the sealing takes place between the rib and the inside of the tank skin, there should be no reason to scuff the exterior. I cleaned all my rivets with MEK, and scuffed both the rivet lines inside the tank along with the rib flanges. In other words, I scuffed the faying surfaces. Like Scott, I also used tank dimpling dies.